SE cost in Surrey?

Hilldes

Getting quotes from Structural Engineers for a new build. What would be a reasonable cost to design piled foundations and drainiage in Surrey? 

The timber frame company will do the the calcs & building regs docs for that the external walls, roof and all internal walls. Outer skin will likely be render board, so assuming that will hang off the timber frame without the need for an SE.

I’m not sure about your area 

We paid under 500 for for foundations tree calc etc for the house and garages 

Steels beam support and lintels 

Architect drew drainage in with plans 

18 hours ago, nod said:

I’m not sure about your area 

We paid under 500 for for foundations tree calc etc for the house and garages 

Steels beam support and lintels 

Architect drew drainage in with plans 

Thanks, my quote is substantially more than that. Will look at alternatives.

16 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

My piling company did all the calcs  for the piles, I had been quoted £5,000 for piles with a raft on top. 

We used a hydrological company for flood risk and drainage, I don’t think a SE will do this. 

Thanks, If I go with the quote I have, I will negotiate the work to occur in stages - e.g. initially getting to the point where are are sure piled foundations are required and also leave open the option for the piling company to take elements of the design. This approach is quite important because the foundations may make the whole project not viable (hopefully unlikely), so I need to be able to walk away without spending too much. 

We covered the flood risk assessment with the planning application - risk is from streams is to the front and the garden at the rear slopes down slightly away from the house, but not sure if we need to revisit with the building regs?

As a really rough guide piles and a ringbeam could add, £25,000 to the cost, minus what you would have spent on foundations so let’s guess £10,000 so £15,000 extra

that amount shouldn’t really kill a project. 

Basing this on what mine cost plus 2 others on here that did piles at roughly the same time as me and their cost was very similar. 

On 16/04/2020 at 14:03, Russell griffiths said:

As a really rough guide piles and a ringbeam could add, £25,000 to the cost, minus what you would have spent on foundations so let’s guess £10,000 so £15,000 extra

that amount shouldn’t really kill a project. 

Basing this on what mine cost plus 2 others on here that did piles at roughly the same time as me and their cost was very similar. 

Agreed. I'm about to spend 25k on a piled foundation with slab on top.

44 minutes ago, Ivan_England said:

I am also looking for someone to do drainage calcs so if you get anyone good, then please let me know. The only bit i have left to sort, but is proving painful. 

Is this roof, land, percolation or sewage?  Most of the calcs for these can be done DIY or from manufacturers.

SE does not need to be anywhere near your location to offer service.

We used a Bath based firm and we're 100m away in Berkshire. They came to site once but even that was not really necessary.

They will base their work off a survey / GI report that they can help you design if you have not procured one already.

17 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Is this roof, land, percolation or sewage?  Most of the calcs for these can be done DIY or from manufacturers.

Hi,

It's the design for the foul water, which will need pumping up to the sewer on the property next door to me. I have a ground worker that is happy to do the work, but normally works from a plan done by somebody else. Can't find someone to do this plan. 

You would normally have standard gravity drainage with 110mm pipe but this will exit to a pump station - a tank sunk in the ground with 1 or 2 pumps.  From there it is in 90mm pressurised pipework until near where it joins to the neighbour, where it will go to gravity again.

Whoever did your building regs should be able to do these for you.

You pump station supplier should advise on sizing and installation.

Hi,

Yes I have details about the pump from the pump company, and thanks for the info on the pipes from the pump to the sewer. Sadly the person that did my prep for building control said they did not do drainage and won't help. The main issue is getting from the pump station into the sewer where the invert level is about 3 metres underground, do i do a backdrop connection or slowly go down to that depth? The rest like you say isn't too complicated. 

No need for a back drop any more, the need for these disappeared a few years ago now, when there was a realisation that foul drain pipes work fine at pretty much any adequate fall.  Just run the pipe down so the fall is even from one end to the other and it should be fine.

• Like 1

Come up to near the surface with your 90mm pumped pipe and connect to 110mm brown pipe with a bandseal connector and connect this to an inspection chamber at about 600mm invert.  From the chamber, go down at 45 degrees, then another to connect to the neighbour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

It has just struck me that if your neighbour has a 3m invert they must be up the hill from you?  

yes exactly we are building at the level of their garage which is one level down from the main house.