Glass Balustrades and Balconies

I've been working with Elite Ballustrades on our balconies (internal and external). Not taken delivery yet but very impressed with them so far. 

If it's a simple Juliet balcony, perhaps look at local glass suppliers - many do the fittings also. 15mm toughened glass is the default. 

• Like 2

I actually have two requirements - one is for true juliet external and the other is for a 2.8m run of panels adjacent the internal stairwell. Clearly the glass must be toughened, but if anyone knows whether either of the internal or external thickness is covered by Building Regs? That might be very useful!  

I have seen 10mm, 12mm and 15mm being offered. Am having difficulty understanding the scenarios whereby a 10mm piece of toughened glass shatters and as a result someone disappears down the stairwell!

We have glass panels on our landings.  According to the guy at Complete Stair Systems they are 2x 4mm annealed panels, laminated together 0.76mm PVB interlayer.  I know because I got one of the dimensions -- the one on the loft floor -- wrong due to a mindfart on my part.  I can cut down the oak pretty much invisibly to remove the excess 100mm, but the glass panel is another issue, so I decided to source it in the UK rather than pay a huge uplift to get a Swedish replacement.

13 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I've been working with Elite Ballustrades on our balconies (internal and external). Not taken delivery yet but very impressed with them so far. 

We used these guys for our external balcony glass and fixtures.  Very helpful (they seem happy to work with self-builders).

Building regs give a load that the balustrade must be able to withstand. I would think that reputable balustrade manufacturers should be able to provide details of the strength of the glass and its compliance with the regs.

The funny thing is I don't think anyone checks that cheap wooden spindles meet the regs. I always imagine going through the balustrade like I am in a western!

https://balustrade.glass/help/building-regulations-highlights/

3 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Please do :)

Ok, well excuse the mess and the ensuite door that is sat under the stairs, moved in on Saturday but some trades still doing final pieces.....

I need to give the glass a good clean, and I m having a white powder coated plate to go just above the top tread to hide the joist:floor build up that needs to go on.

IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

• Like 5

On 11/29/2016 at 20:15, Trw144 said:

I checked with my local building rega and they were happy with 12 mm toughened. Will take a picture in a bit if anyone is interested in how it finished up after?

Love the stairs and the wall. Can you tell me what you used on the wall? are they large tiles?? Looking do do something similar myself

Can I ask how that glass was fixed?

i guess the glass was bolted or screwed to the structure, then "something white" was applied as a cladding over it with no visible fixings.  It's the lack of visible fixings that give it the crispness, but my simple mind can only think of "glue" for something like that.

7 hours ago, pauldoc said:

Love the stairs and the wall. Can you tell me what you used on the wall? are they large tiles?? Looking do do something similar myself

Yes, large format tiles from Living Ceramics and two very good (and patient) tilers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Can I ask how that glass was fixed?

i guess the glass was bolted or screwed to the structure, then "something white" was applied as a cladding over it with no visible fixings.  It's the lack of visible fixings that give it the crispness, but my simple mind can only think of "glue" for something like that.

The glass was fixed with "normal" off the shelf glass fixings, screwed through the joist and with a bolt/plate behind. I then had an mdf frame made up to support the plasterboard/slim without being fixed to the glass so that the small amount of flex in the glass balustrade did nt cause any cracking. There are some photos on the forum somewhere as this was a discussion point for me a few weeks back....

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Also what are treads covered in?

i assume those end caps hide the fixings from glass to treads?

The metal treads are covered in oak that has been smoked and brushed white, the end caps are the ends from the treads made in one piece so it matches through.

11 hours ago, Oz07 said:

So how does that chunk of oak join the steel frame? Sorry to be nosey just looks really good. minimal

That's an older post - not sure if it was build hub or ebuild so I ll need to check....