Cement Render v Acrylic type Render

Euan G

Folks 

Hopefully will be starting my first self build in Dumfriesshire sometime soon.....?

1.5 storey @195m2 and double garage.

Looking for some advice re render.  Initially thought about a painted cement render, however having just seen a house with an acrylic render supplied by Runcie, Dumfries I am looking for pros and cons of both please.

Many thanks

I have issues with some of my acrylic render de laminating.  Investigation and remedial work has paused just now so I don't have an outcome so I can't recommend it personally just now.

What make of render system were you considering?

I do both 

We used to do mainly sand and cement years back 

My wife often points out a  large house I did some 35 years ago 

No beads all wet edged 

looks as good as the day it was done 

Will the silicon last as long 

It should do 

The first time I used through coloured render was 30 years ago 

Cem Rend 

Before the advent of K rend 

We use a large amounted K Rend  each year I think if you get someone reputable You shouldn’t have any issues 

A company is better than individuals that use it now and then 

Have you considered a thin-coat silicone render system? This may be the most expensive option but they are marketed as top of the range and especially flexible and resistant to cracking. 

We used EWI pro because they are based just down the road. The system uses two layers of fibre reinforced basecoat  adhesive, with mesh embedded between the two coats. When dry this is then painted with a primer and then the final topcoat silicone render. I liked the system because we DIY installed EPS external wall insulation and the basecoat doubled up as adhesive. We then got a pro in to finish it off. So far it still looks pristine and water beads off so we can hose it down if needed. In total ours is around 8mm thick but you can vary this depending on the substrate and render aggregate size (ie. texture). 

I used the thin coat stuff because I was rendering onto wood fibre board.  this thin coat system had a BBA approval for direct render onto wood fibre so I thought it would be okay.  I don't belive cement render is approved for that.

The bad news in a few places the thin top coat is separating. The good news as far as I can tell the base layer (lime based) is sound, so the integrity of the building is not at risk (the base coat can apparently be used on it's own as a finished product)

I am awaiting for a visit by the manufacturers rep to see the issue (now delayed until who knows when) before the plasterer comes to re do the damaged sections free of charge.  But I want to know what went wrong and have some confidence it is not going to keep on happening.

44 minutes ago, Euan G said:

Many thanks, any issues with cem render cracking on a timber frame new build?

You can apply sand and cement to most surfaces Even plasterboard 

As long as you fix a stainless mesh to it 

I use quite a lot of the thin coat renders If there is movement any of the renders will crack

Plenty of expansion joins help with the cracking 

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

the base coat can apparently be used on it's own as a finished product

I have used Weber LAC base coat with a fabric mesh.  Base coat rubbed up to a sand grain finish and then masonry paint.  Worked a treat and still good 10 years on.

I’ve not heard of this 

I Use K tend 

Keep way from Webber 

and only use Stucco for thin coat render 

Both K and Stucco have a massive array of colours Great backup 

and are reasonably priced