Total MVHR cost/quotes

Hi all,

my build is 165m2 single story. I'd had a few quotes for supply only with design and they are coming the following excluding VAT:

CVC Direct: £5678 (full design done). Unit itself £2023

Paul: £5200 estimate. Unit itself £2820

Local company: £5120 . Includes installation though, but not very confident on their 'design' or components.

Green Build Store: £4700 to £5200.

Enhabit: £4850  estimate (old quote, might be more now)

It seems that half the cost is the pipework. Its all a combination of steel pipework for main extract/inlet and then basically Zehnder’s ComfoFresh (PVC?) ducting or equivalent.

Does these quotes seem reasonable? It just seems expensive to me.

Thanks

Edited by gc100

Slightly smaller house, £400 for mvhr unit from ebay.  Design done by house designer, Pipework, semi rigid 75mm radial system a little over £1000 from BPC, self installed in a couple of days. Dead easy.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Slightly smaller house, £400 for mvhr unit from ebay.  Design done by house designer, Pipework, semi rigid 75mm radial system a little over £1000 from BPC, self installed in a couple of days. Dead easy.

Thanks. Which ducting did you use? 

Regarding MVHR units themselves there seems to be a massive about of variance in these. I have been looking at this unit Zehnder ComfoAir Q 350 which is not cheap at around £2800, but it seems this is the unit I'm constantly quoted for mostly and it does seem good looking at specs etc. However do I really need that kind of quality? The unit itself will be in the garage so noise is less of an issue. 

Looking at one of the quotes it says I need a boost at 247m3/h which this unit seems a bit overkill.

Edited by gc100

4 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Thanks. Which ducting did you use? 

It's a semi rigid plastic ducting, in my case two ducts in parallel to each vent.

mvhr3.thumb.jpg.4a03e44418cf86c0067cf833c5888e22.jpg

And they all lead back to two plenum boxes next to the mvhr unit

mvhr12.thumb.jpg.4edb78906ffeec998b2512a550b36e3b.jpg

mvhr13.thumb.jpg.a133cb3526f5c779c974b5ebb461f38a.jpg

• Like 1

I paid £1.5k or thereabout for the unit, then about £2k on ducting/manifolds/plenums. Self designed and installed. Up and running but only 1/3 of house actively being conditioned (other outlets plugged for the moment).

I've said it many times on here my choice of unit (vent-axia) was because I want to use it as kitchen extractor over an island hob so saved the expense of downdraft set-up. The unit I have allows a cooker mode with  upto 100% speed on extract and bypass the heat exchanger to prevent fouling.

• Thanks 1

Twin wall pretty smooth on the inside.

Total cost £1072 from BPC for all ducting, terminal vents, plenum boxes etc but not the large duct from the plenum boxes to the mvhr unit, they came from another self builder left over from his job.

BPC did not do the design, I am not sure what they would have charged if they did,

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

UFH downstairs from ASHP. No heating needed upstairs.

Thanks 

While we decided against for our build The next one has no access to gas 

I didn’t fancy going down the route of oil filled 

So it seems a no brainier 

But we do like the UFH 

158m2 ground floor Even with gas it’s remarkably cheap to run

Bought all my kit from BPC last October. Vent Axia unit + all ducting, plenum etc. for about £2600 for self install which I’ll be doing in the next month or so.  Extract from 3 bathrooms, WC, utility and kitchen.  Supply to study, hall, dining, living and 3 bedrooms.  About 170 sq. m over two storeys. They did the design, cost then was £100, deducted from the order.

They’re still working during the lockdown, so might be worth a call.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

The need for heating, underfloor or not, is not related to the need for MVHR, which is driven by airtightness.

We are very airtight Doors and windows are open all the time 

Even in winter 

It would be nice to have a means of cooling the house 

MVHR won't help cool very much.

You need air con for that. It has been suggested that an air con chiller coil on the MVHR supply side ducting might work, but might cause condensation drop out issues in the ducting when in use.

3 hours ago, nod said:

We are very airtight Doors and windows are open all the time 

Even in winter 

It would be nice to have a means of cooling the house 

If the doors and windows are open all the time then there won't be a requirement for MVHR but there will be a requirement for a lot of space heating unless you like living in a low temperature house. As @JFDIY says air con is the best way of cooling the house down.