Recommendations for Site Insurance

Paul K

I'm about to complete on the purchase of some land and wonder if anybody can advise me where best to look for a public liability insurance product that can later have site insurance added to it.

Also, as a newbie to this, are there any potential pitfalls that I need to watch out for when arranging this sort of insurance cover?

Any help with this (my first post) would be appreciated.

I think they are all much of a muchness 

We used Protec as it was easy to add an extra three months or so at a later date 

We had a couple of good quotes but they where vague about extending part year 

Thanks. I did call Protec, but although they seemed keen to help once work was underway, they couldn't offer any 'land liability' insurance to cover us while the site remains just bare ground.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently completed on a rural plot, which is essentially a gated field surrounded by a barbed wire fence. I was going to get liability insurance.. but after talking to a friend who runs an insurance firm, he suggested not to bother with PL and just get site insurance when required. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I contacted selfbuild.uk.com whose insurance product seemed attractive, but they needed details of the build method in order to quote for public liability cover on the land (!!) and then informed me that their underwriters wouldn’t quote for ICF or SIPS as they were considered too high risk (!!!). Apparently they’ve had too many claims involving these two, but couldn’t divulge what the claims were for. 

What I’m now worried about is that ICF (my preferred choice) may have some inherent problem that carries a risk and makes it uninsurable; any comments?

I have been insured with Build Care via Build Store.  I have just renewed it again for another year which does not seem to be a problem with them. Some have reported a refusal to renew some policies more than once or twice.

I used Self Build Zone for site insurance, came out best on price.  Can get an instant quote online without having to speak to anyone.  Didn't have any insurance on the land until we started works, as is fairly low risk flat site with no nearby footpaths or anything.  Not sure on prices for land liability although you get public liability as part of site insurance, you may find it is worth just taking out the one policy for a longer time period. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if Self Build Zone and Buildstore are one and the same organisation - just filled out the online quotation and they were EXACTLY the same questions/website layout as each other ?

I got quotes from the usual suspects, Protek, Self Build Zone, Build Safe.  In the end I went to a local broker in the village, and Used ProAktive from Aviva. The price was about £20 dearer than the cheapest quote from the others, but at least I could have a sensible chat with the broker, and he  did not ring me up every week asking me if I was ready to place an order.  And it fits in my attempt to use local trades.