What type of raspberries are these?

That is, summer or autumn fruiting.

I need to prune them back appropriately for this year, and thin a little.

I think they are summer fruiting (ie July August not Sept Oct), going on the leaves on old wood. But honestly I cannot remember precisely when they fruit - all the soft fruit went by the board last year due to caring responsibilities, and raspberries were mum's not mine.

Ferdinand

19F156BE-8BEB-4DD8-91CC-68B90FD76C3E.thumb.jpeg.effd8b05646f1c6f00dcbd42f25a3e8a.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

I'd hang on a few months to be certain.  Summer ones fruit on last year's new growth, autumn ones on this year's growth.  If they haven't flowered by June/July, then they're autumn ones and you can take appropriate action once you know. Agree with @PeterW's comment about the 1 in 3.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

That is, summer or autumn fruiting.

Unpruned autumn fruiting raspberries can fruit twice per year but the total yield is less than if restricted to the autumn. The unpruned autumn cane will have fruited at the top last year, the lower part will flower and fruit at the same time as summer rasps this year and the new growth will flower and fruit in the autumn as usual. So if the tops show no sign of flowering (in June or so) you have autumn fruiting rasps. You then have to decide if you are going to double crop for one year, you should cut the tops off  leaving the bottoms to fruit, the embryo flowers should be visible,  or cut them out completely and go for a (reduced) autumn crop. In either case I would feed heavily. Summer fruiting rasps will flower obviously at the tops of  the canes. I would aim for six canes per foot run of row in either eventuality.

Thanks - this is the sort of stuff that I do not know automatically.

Some things I understand, but there are ignorance-holes everywhere too.

Still have strawberries, gooseberries, a couple of wall-espaliers or fans to address. And the Himalayan Giant blackberry ?.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 10:37, vivienz said:

I'd hang on a few months to be certain.  Summer ones fruit on last year's new growth, autumn ones on this year's growth.  If they haven't flowered by June/July, then they're autumn ones and you can take appropriate action once you know. Agree with @PeterW's comment about the 1 in 3.

I now have some raspberries, so they are summer fruiting ones.

So time to wait a bit then be ready to prepare for next year.