Mulch And Compost

On 05/04/2020 at 21:20, Onoff said:

I thought he and the film crew shat in a tin?

I think one of our Scottish members is doing that with a plastic tin and a dry toilet(?)

I think it is fill 'er up, change the bucket, put a tightfitting lid on it and leave alone for 18 months.

No idea who, though.

F

Think I know where I am with this now. This is my veg side of the garden, though in the later years mum let one frame go to potential bamboo and another to mint; may have to deal with this.

787F58D3-03D0-40C7-95CE-828A138E8351.thumb.jpeg.5122425ad3df2027864b19e91b9c1a11.jpeg

I think I'll pair the dalek with a bin in one end of one of the frames - made either from pallets (frames are 4' wide) or post and half rounds, which I have here already - then I can turn the stuff from one to the other if necessary.

Presumably the soil under the movable Council Bin will be improved, so it will be good to reposition that occasionally.

That bit of wall is next door’s that fell down, and is waiting for them to repair.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

These are the building materials I have on site.

A pallet, unfortunately under about a ton of river pebbles.

A fence panel from my bin stores, where the posts snapped in the wind in Jan/Feb.

A good quantity of half-rounds, which could make a dense ‘horse fence’. Have about 20 rounds knocker posts elsewhere.

Which one to use? 

Those pavers weigh 65kg each, so I am not playing with those on my own and they are probably sub optimal as a material.

146B10FD-2796-4486-BD32-7253949A8456.thumb.jpeg.ab207afec7f7989a0905ee497781be3e.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

On 17/04/2020 at 07:05, Oz07 said:

65kg ea! You need to eat your spinach I'd guess half that for 2ft slabs

3' X 2' and 50mm thick. I did do a patio with them a few years ago on my own.

My main concern would be that I live alone for now, and do not want to risk serious injury in the current close-down.

For the pile of 20kg bags of river pebbles on the pallet, some wag at the gym suggested a Workout of the Day involving 50 lifts of 20kg each...

Edited by Ferdinand

• 1 month later...

My compost is still a load of toss but I have now created a raised bed, approx 3m2, one scaffold board high and I’ve hefted 1 & 1/2 bags of topsoil into it. Bring on the pest blighted crops.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

That looks like a full time job

This is my back garden and the front is about the same size  but with huge lawns on the flat.....  I blame the garden for my incredibly slow progress on the Building renovations.....

9C959AA5-2887-4299-9998-5F43BC709027.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

This is my back garden and the front is about the same size  but with huge lawns on the flat.....  I blame the garden for my incredibly slow progress on the Building renovations.....

You should click on my profile to see my back garden.

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

Looks cracking wee spot 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m struggling with the compost at the moment. A *lot* of flies. We generate mountains of green stuff (kitchen scraps) but are short on browns which is Likely to be the problem. I bought a weekend paper for a change so will tear that up (no shredder) and try a good layer of that to quell the worst of the flies. But even the weekend papers are not as thick as they used to be.

I may need to change tack and reduce the quantity I’m putting in. The council green recycling is happening again reasonably regularly but i don’t want to risk relying on it again yet with food waste. I don’t want 4 weeks rotten food in the wheelie bin if they miss us. 

So I think I’ll end up putting whatever is in there in the raised bed next spring. Just dig out 6 inches or so, spread out whatever funk is in the bin and put the topsoil back. Rather than expecting to produce a compost mulch you could lay on top of the topsoil around the garden. The banana peels, mango skin etc are not going to break down.

36 minutes ago, daiking said:

short on browns

Want me to pop round?  ?

On a serious note when I was looking at making a biogas rig they reckoned 50/50 green to brown with occasional "nitrates" added. Let's just say easier for blokes to add nitrates! My Gurkha friends all grew up with rudimentary biogas plants for cooking and gas lighting back in Nepal and confirmed this. Buffalo there supplied the "brown".

19 minutes ago, Cpd said:

A quick way to bulk out the brown stuff could be to buy a few bales of straw, it’s only about £6 a bale and it will go a looooooong way. 

Lol. Round here it’s costs a fiver to frickin’ HIRE a hay bale

I’d post a link but I wouldn’t want to give the hay bale hiring business the oxygen of publicity.

The pets supplies local should be able to do a bale for £10 inc delivery

Edited by daiking