Staircase risers and flights

DarrenA

Our self build staircase goes up 9 steps to a half landing and then a further 7 steps to the first floor (then 8 steps and 8 steps to the second floor). Due to minor changes and mistakes, the half landing position doesn't exactly match the architect plans. 

As things stand the first flight of 9 stairs will have a going of 250mm with 170mm risers. The following 3 flights will all be 250mm going but only 160mm risers. 

I'm pretty certain this is all OK with building regs but was wondering if this change of riser will be noticeable or a problem. 

The half landings are 2m x 1m with a 180 degree turn to the next flight of stairs so quite a large space for your body to reset and lose the rhythm of the previous flight of stairs. 

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments thanks. 

I am pretty sure all the steps in "a flight" have to be the same,  I wonder if BR interpret the two halves as a different "flight"?

Do you have different floor to floor heights between ground and first and between first and second?  If not I would be wanting to make all stairs the same.

• Like 2

BC tend to be more keen on the correct gap between spindles 

Our Architect has made a blunder 

The stair manufacturers picked it up and asked me to recheck my measure against the Architects drawing 

They removed a step 

BC didn’t seem to mind 

• Thanks 1

If you look through the building regs for buildings other than dwellings, it suggests that a flight of stairs over a certain number of rises must be broken by a landing. A half landing should still count as it is at least as wide as the stairs. So in my opinion it's two separate flights.

I bet you won't notice the 10mm underfoot and they won't check it. 

Unless you've committed cash already why can't the stairs be made at say 165mm throughout for the first floor?

I wouldn't worry that it'll be different to the other floors.

Edited by JFDIY
  • Like 1

I've possibly got this wrong but I've had to build the half landings independently of the stairs so that the windows can be fitted. And the landing height is partly dictated by steels already in place and so can't be adjusted the 50mm required to even up the 2 flights. 

I'm going to to make some temporary stairs anyway so will test the different riser heights but I'm feeling more assured it will be fine. 

Thanks for the suggestions.