Fascia material

I'm just finalising our change of house type and the planning application is due to go in next week.

The architect had put down timber fascia's, which i thought surely this should be PVC as it's zero maintenance - however he thinks that it should be about high quality materials as we are in the countryside. 

Surely timber is a complete pain in the arse? I cannot be bothered repainting ever years/couple of years??. I'm trying to minimise maintenance at all points but also want it to look good, however as with everyone, budget is important. 

what did everyone else select and why? 

thanks, 

John

I don’t think you can have what you want

have you heard of that triangle of 3 things

time - quality - cost. 

I think you have the same situation but with different headings

no maintenance 

looks

cost. 

So. 

Timber - looks good- lots of maintenance 

plastic- cheap- looks shit

aluminium - looks sharp and modern- expensive 

you need to make  a choice 

i have chosen timber, it was expensive and I know that I will need to re stain it every 2-3 years, it looks absolutely spot on and nothing else would have looked right except probably powder coated aluminium. 

Work out what you  are trying to achieve. 

We are under conservation Our planning said timber sag windows 

Timber facias and soffits 

We changed for the same reason as you 

GAP plastics have a good range of grained pvc that looks like wood 

11 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

I have wooden fascias, soffits and barge boards 

untreated, perfect ten years on, just wrote it up 

http://tonyshouse.readinguk.org/category/the-house/

Just looked at your link. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think they say. Looks like it's crying out for a rub down and stain. Untreated...not for me.

52 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

i have chosen timber, it was expensive and I know that I will need to re stain it every 2-3 years, it looks absolutely spot on and nothing else would have looked right except probably powder coated aluminium. 

Work out what you  are trying to achieve. 

@Russell griffiths I know the triangle well, and my normal emphasis is where possible maximise on quality and finish where possible and budget allows. I just hadn't considered fascias and soffits were of that much importance (which I am now finding out they are). The architect has them down as grey, hence I was assuming what was the point in having them timber at all as they will just look like plastic.  I would have assumed timber would have been the worst thing to put up there to  be honest. any links to pictures?

34 minutes ago, nod said:

We are under conservation Our planning said timber sag windows 

Timber facias and soffits 

We changed for the same reason as you 

GAP plastics have a good range of grained pvc that looks like wood 

@nod it just seems to make more sense to use plastic as a more suitable material (Aluminium would be nice...but I knew that wasn't even possible at the start, ?)

10 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

I have wooden fascias, soffits and barge boards 

untreated, perfect ten years on, just wrote it up 

http://tonyshouse.readinguk.org/category/the-house/

great @tonyshouse perfect timing. 

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just looked at your link. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think they say. Looks like it's crying out for a rub down and stain. Untreated...not for me.

unfortunately I would agree (sorry Tony), which is exactly what I would like to avoid. 

I'm in west coast of Scotland - it's constantly wet. 

I did fit a new fence to my current house about 4 years ago, specifically bought tanalised wood so I would never have to paint it and could leave it to weather knowing it would last a long time with no maintenance, 

Just finished fitting my facias and soffits, chose Marley Alutec facia and barge boards, hopefully no maintenance, and a claimed 50 year lifespan. To keep costs down used plastic soffit.

wanted to use the Marley Alu gutters, but had to draw the cost line somewhere, and have fitted Floplast plastic, difference of nearly 2k! saved. Although if the plastic gives up, it will cost to refit safely, as easy now with whole house scaffolded, but a large cost to scaffold just for gutter replacement.

facia.JPG

To be fair unless you are single story It would be difficult to tell timber and grained UPVC apart 

Heritage where against using UPVC but agreed that they couldn’t tell the difference from 5 to 7 mtrs below 

I’ve done the up the ladder each year thing and didn’t fancy doing it again 

I used oak on the porch and Idigbo on the gates 

Planners where happy with this 

Next door used hardwood on all there sash windows and doors

Also there Orangery roof 

Ten years on all need replacing 

• Like 2

I think that I an both a bit lazy and a bit minimalist and take the view that if it doesn’t need it treatment then it ain’t getting it.

saving resources is very important in my philosophy, and then there is time saving, the money as well as eliminating the risks involved in doing it.

I've just spent an hour in your blog @tonyshouse have looked at it before but still interesting now. I feel like it used to have more pictures? Amazing how time flies I like the way you can't remember if you used the leg kit for the bath or not was only 2009 ha! Also found the comment about basement floor and bit of damp do I win a prize?!

The white woodgrain upvc fascias are good.

These are also from GAP, but they are available from a lot of places (can't recall the actual manufacturer ), just GAP was the cheapest at the time.

The ridge beam and finial are actually painted wood

20171117_122537.jpg

Edited by bassanclan

10 hours ago, nod said:

To be fair unless you are single story It would be difficult to tell timber and grained UPVC apart 

Heritage where against using UPVC but agreed that they couldn’t tell the difference from 5 to 7 mtrs below 

I’ve done the up the ladder each year thing and didn’t fancy doing it again 

I used oak on the porch and Idigbo on the gates 

Planners where happy with this 

Next door used hardwood on all there sash windows and doors

Also there Orangery roof 

Ten years on all need replacing 

Could I just add that my friend with the joinery shop who makes marvellous Gates frames etc 

Has redone his facias and soffits in wood grain He just said they don’t look much different than timber painted grey 

When I last visited him he was making some elaborate oak gates and a carport Gates will end up over 20 k Carport over 60 k

I commented that they will last forever 

He said the gates May still twist 

But these people will just order a new set 

6 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Just to clarify, these upvc fascias from  were taking about from GAP are not clad on, they are 18mm solid foam wrapped in upvc grain that you nail directly to the rafter feet.

you would do the same with cement board

2 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

you could if you wished use accoya or medite extreme mdf as these will give you many years use without maintenabce, price is a consideration though.

This is the route I wanted to take but the Medite Tricoya Extreme was prohibitively expensive.

I settled for Medite Exterior, which has a 15 year guarantee (instead of 50+) and as long as I keep the paintwork good it should last.

IMG_20200118_132231.jpg

20200226_160125.jpg

• Like 1