Building materials

We had a visit from the commercial director of a company that we do a lot of work for 

He was asking for a progress report on two sites 

I told him some materials are becoming a problem as our insulation and metal supplier had closed down 

He said make a list and I will send a lorry down there 

He also told me that the plumbers and Electricians (All Cards In ) Have been told to come back to work on Monday As there two weeks isolation is now up 

When the next lockdown is introduced at the end of next week 

the government needs to be firm and close down nearly all building sites 

He also mentioned another big job 

(Carrot)  A new cinema  I’m amazed they are carrying on with that one 

Many of these sites have standard penalty clauses These haven’t been relaxed 

31 minutes ago, nod said:

Many of these sites have standard penalty clauses These haven’t been relaxed 

Surely nobody would go near them with these in place !  Totally understandable in normal times but having to work within a set time scale  with COVID 19 just seems a stretch to far.... 

44 minutes ago, nod said:

I told him some materials are becoming a problem as our insulation and metal supplier had closed down 

He said make a list and I will send a lorry down there 

And if the suppliers are shut down, what will the lorry driver do?  break into the suppliers premesis to get the materials?

12 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Surely nobody would go near them with these in place !  Totally understandable in normal times but having to work within a set time scale  with COVID 19 just seems a stretch to far.... 

Yep it’s how things stand at the moment 

The plumbers and Electricians I assumed would be on the government 80 % Which in turn would have brought us to a halt later next week 

But it sounds like they have all put themselves on self isolating for two weeks £92 

Many of the lads that are onsite that are self employed are only that in name and get an hourly rate  of £22.50 Time and a half on Saturday 

These guys can’t wait til June for some money 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And if the suppliers are shut down, what will the lorry driver do?  break into the suppliers premesis to get the materials?

That’s my point 

I’ve been categorically told no delivery No pick 

While there are people there 

We are Closed 

But it seems like the big builders are able to collect 

I spend about 150 k with this company 

Which is peanuts compared to what the builder spends 

Toolstation are the latest to p me off. Everything was in stock when I placed the order.  3 days later an email to say an item was out of stock.

Off to find an alternative from CPC who at the moment still seem to be processing orders and dispatching in a couple of hours.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Toolstation are the latest to p me off. Everything was in stock when I placed the order.  3 days later an email to say an item was out of stock.

Off to find an alternative from CPC who at the moment still seem to be processing orders and dispatching in a couple of hours.

Yes I nipped in the electricians and plumbers store 

While there is second fix gear 

There’s hardly any first fix

Will have to see if it miraculously fills up over the weekend 

One of my local BMs is taking orders that will be supplied direct from their upstream manufacturers. The scheme is only applicable to a few building materials brands such as XL Joinery.

Another BM emailed today to say they are considering taking orders next week for customer collection only, which is an odd decision, surely using their delivery wagons results in less human contact. How many m2 of 100mm cavity batts will I get in a Vauxhall Mokka? 20 at a guess.

Edited by epsilonGreedy