New Build - Left at Foundation Stage - Problems?

Mostly Chilled

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase a new build and because of Covid-19, the site has stood down. The last I seen was - foundations were in, foul and rain water drainage piped and covered, outline of house and garage was a couple of bricks high and that was it. In the time between my last view and shut down, there 'might' have been the start of brick walls but can't imagine much more.

My basic question is how long can the plot be left like this until I need to start worrying? If so, what do I need to worry about?

Thanks for any replies

5 hours ago, Mostly Chilled said:

... My basic question is how long can the plot be left like this until I need to start worrying? 

Worry? 9 or 10 years maybe. Probably more.

There's a plot right next to us which has been at that stage for at least 10 years now.

Don’t panic. Better at this stage as nothing for water to hold in when it rains. Once they start, the bigger issue is when any fibre wall insulation gets wet as it takes months to dry out. 

Thanks guys, I was hoping to hear that. So even if the ground floor walls have been made up, we're still ok? The foundations were the last thing I seen, so I'm hoping that's as far as they got, but they had a few weeks after that to do more. I'd be surprised if the sales team want to divulge too much further info for fear of dropping a bollock.

Thanks again

Also, if you have not exchanged contracts you do not have to go ahead.  They must refund any deposit you have paid.  If you have exchanged, there is often a long stop date by which time the building must be ready or, again, you can pull out.

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Also, if you have not exchanged contracts you do not have to go ahead.  They must refund any deposit you have paid.  If you have exchanged, there is often a long stop date by which time the building must be ready or, again, you can pull out.

That's interesting about the reservation deposit. I was of the understanding if we were that ones to pull out, we would lose the deposit. I don't want to turn this into another topic thread but I had mentally written that and the solicitors fee off if we decided to let the market settle to it's new level before taking the plunge again. Thanks for the fresh angle on it though.

4 hours ago, Mostly Chilled said:

That's interesting about the reservation deposit. I was of the understanding if we were that ones to pull out, we would lose the deposit. I don't want to turn this into another topic thread but I had mentally written that and the solicitors fee off if we decided to let the market settle to it's new level before taking the plunge again. Thanks for the fresh angle on it though.

If it is a new build they will be bound by the Consumer Code for newbuild homes https://consumercode.co.uk/