Convert Half a Double Detached Garage - Building Regs Required?

DB1981

Hi All,

I was hoping someone knowledgeable could assist me with a question of building regs and whether it applies to a conversion I want to do?

we have a 6mx6m detached garage (about 3m from the house?)

I want to convert the back half of the garage into an office (so the front half with two garage doors remain a garage, the back half of the garage becomes an office)

this will be a stud wall down the middle of the garage that will give a floor space of 16m2 as the office.

I always assumed that as the garage was over 30m2 (36m2 in total) that as it was over 30m2 I needed building regs.  I have just been told by someone who apparently has spoken to someone at building control who they know that they’ve said that as the part in converting is under 30m2 and won’t have a bed in then it’s exempt from building regs.

I am therefore confused.  I guess contacting my local council will be the definitive answer but before I do that I just wondered if anyone knew if the above was correct and it’s whether the part you’re developing is Over 30m2 that requires building regs, rather than the size of the garage itself.

It will be used as a full time office for myself (to get me out the house for peace and quiet from the kids when not at school!).   Will never be used as a bedroom etc, but just want to ensure that when I come to sell in years to come there’s no issues with it being classed as an office when selling (may want to put a settee and TV in longer term for a ‘man cave’ type of thing, but that’s about it and it’s purpose would remain an office primarily)

Thanks in advance

chris 

That’s Mr Punter.

just to muddy the waters a little then... I have had an electrician for an electric heater to the wall already and this was wired into a fused spur.

its a 1500kw wall mounted heater and he also added a couple of sockets and then gave a part P certificate (if it would be needed) which automatically notifies building regs.

does this heater mean that I’ve got to have building regs?  I thought it was just a safe and neat way to do it as cable goes behind wall so no permanent plug.  But if this now means I’ve got to get building regs because of that then I’ve shot myself in the foot and best putting it back by sounds of it, unless Part P means it’s been checked and ok? 

The normal rule is that if energy is used to 'condition the indoor climate' then the building needs to meet Part L of the regs, whether or not the heating (or cooling) is fixed. There are additional requirements for installing fixed services, particularly covering commissioning (if applicable). But maybe there's an exception that I'm not aware of.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.  Joe90, thanks for the link.  Yes, I definitely wouldn’t say it would be classed as a permanent residence!

Even if I put a settee and TV in there, it would never have a kitchen, bathroom or bedroom...

I just wasn’t sure of splitting the garage with a stud wall and insulating the office part of there were then regulations because of fire risk or something else from the remaining garage, although I suppose there has to be common sense limits, as it’s only a small space I guess, but difficult to find a 100% definitive answer, although logically it makes sense that it shouldn’t as no one would ever live in there ... just didn’t want issues when selling if I said there was an office detached from the house as part of a conversion that’s all

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion/2

Is building regulations approval needed for a garage conversion?

The conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations.

https://www.labc.co.uk/news/garage-conversion-tips-from-our-building-control-experts

Would converting a garage always need Building Regulations approval? If it is a detached building, and < 30sq.m. in floor area, then surely converting it to, say, an office or games room would not need approval?

In reply to (No subject) by julie.mcnamee
Submitted 1 year 6 months ago

The detached exempt garage would indeed remain exempt unless it was used as sleeping accommodation, made two-storey, or undergoing a change of use as described in the Building Regulations 2010: Hotel, shop, residential, public building etc.

Providing a water service or electric to the exempt building would need approval, but only for that aspect of the work.

All attached (non-exempt garages would need approval).

But then..

I would like to put a stud-work partition wall with door inside my internal garage to create a separate workshop area. The garage will still be used for storage etc. and workshop for hobbies. Would I need planning permission for this?

In reply to (No subject) by julie.mcnamee

Submitted 1 year 6 months ago

Hi,

Although it's unlikely that you'll need Planning Permission for the work, you're best to check with your local Planning Authority.

In relation to Building Regulations, this is minor work and you probably won't need a Building Regulation application.

To confirm this, I would suggest that you forward a sketch of the proposed layout to your local building control team. (Enter your post here to find their contact details https://www.labc.co.uk/our-services/find-nearest-local-council-building-control-department)

Thanks,
John

Edited by Temp
Remove white space
  • Thanks 1

Also see https://www.haringey.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/building-control/building-control-applications/do-i-need-building-regulations-approval

Do I need Building Regulations Approval to:

3. convert my garage into a habitable room?

Yes, even if it is only a store or hobbies room.

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/info/20375/building_regulations/580/do_i_need_building_regulations

Works that are exempt from Building Regulations

Small detached buildings:

•     Single storey buildings under 30m2 floor area, containing no sleeping accommodation, constructed substantially of non-combustible material, or sited at least one metre from the boundary. (e.g. detached single garage or shed)
  •     A detached building, having a floor area not more than 15m2, with no sleeping accommodation, can be constructed of any material.
  •     No heating or cooling systems installed.

Building Regulations Part 6