NHBC Virtual Training

Hi All

Posting this in case it’s of interest. The NHBC have launched a number of free webinars. From what I can work out it’s open to all.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Productsandservices/Training/Webinars/?utm_source=Shortlink&utm_medium=Shortlink&utm_campaign=Webinars_shortlink

What better way to use up your period of self isolation by acquainting yourself with building knowledge and regs. Wow we’re a boring bunch ?

No idea if they’ll be any good. 

Edited by Barney12
Typo
  • Thanks 3

I signed up to a couple of these. one of them was the Timber Frame construction webinar. one this that they said that I wanted to ask the community is that the internal first floor walls should not be installed until after the full load was put on the roof. i.e. the roof fully tiled. 

now I presume this is to do with load and shrinkage of the timber frame with the roof covering on and seems to make sense but from all the reading I've done every timber frame manufacturer will come to site and erect the timber frame including the internal walls and then leave with the roofer coming to site afterwards to fit the tiles.

if NHBC say that fitting internal walls is a big no-no until after the roof has full load how/why do the timber frame companies get away with this?

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I signed up to a couple of these. one of them was the Timber Frame construction webinar. one this that they said that I wanted to ask the community is that the internal first floor walls should not be installed until after the full load was put on the roof. i.e. the roof fully tiled. 

now I presume this is to do with load and shrinkage of the timber frame with the roof covering on and seems to make sense but from all the reading I've done every timber frame manufacturer will come to site and erect the timber frame including the internal walls and then leave with the roofer coming to site afterwards to fit the tiles.

if NHBC say that fitting internal walls is a big no-no until after the roof has full load how/why do the timber frame companies get away with this?

I have not seen this anywhere before and have been an NHBC registered builder.  The internal partitions will shrink at the same rate as external.  Also, some internal walls are structural so you could not install the roof.  Could you provide a link as this seems to be nonsense?

Just now, Mr Punter said:

I have not seen this anywhere before and have been an NHBC registered builder.  The internal partitions will shrink at the same rate as external.  Also, some internal walls are structural so you could not install the roof.  Could you provide a link as this seems to be nonsense?

I'll try and find something...even if it means attending the replay of the webinar and asking it on there. 

the company that i started my apprenticeship with, who were NHBC registered built the internal stud walls after the frame was up and to wind and water tight, the only internal walls that were built at the same time as the external kit were load bearing walls, i dont know anyone who builds internal partitions before the roof/ second floor, generally the stud walls are fitted after the internal walls are insulated and plasterboarded

12 minutes ago, Hobbiniho said:

the company that i started my apprenticeship with, who were NHBC registered built the internal stud walls after the frame was up and to wind and water tight, the only internal walls that were built at the same time as the external kit were load bearing walls, i dont know anyone who builds internal partitions before the roof/ second floor, generally the stud walls are fitted after the internal walls are insulated and plasterboarded

this is interesting and seems to be what the guy was saying on the webinar. but that would mean that the timber frame company would have to come back to site at some variable time in the future after the roofer has been. which I doubt they would do. 

I'm confused (which is easily done!)