Manifold system versus hot return system

Looks good bud. Just trying to work out what you have going on - have you plasterboarded/painted behind that? Have you got them going up into the ceiling void before turning 90 degrees to go through a joist? How are you intending to plasterboard that ceiling around all the pipes?

2 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Looks good bud. Just trying to work out what you have going on - have you plasterboarded/painted behind that? Have you got them going up into the ceiling void before turning 90 degrees to go through a joist? How are you intending to plasterboard that ceiling around all the pipes?

Yes wall boarded and painted, it’s one of my pet hates with unfinished walls, just because it’s the plant room. 

Loft above this area, ceiling will be boarded with a big letterbox cut out, then a strip cut with finger cutouts to slot around pipes. 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Yes wall boarded and painted, it’s one of my pet hates with unfinished walls, just because it’s the plant room. 

I agree, about to start putting stuff into my plant room but need to board it first. The consumer unit is already in there so will have to pull that off at some time to board behind it.

So you will have to undo it at some point to get the finger hole piece in. With the loft above it helps as you can work top down. I have a room above mine so will have to work from below. More food for thought in terms of sequencing.

What does that manifold do? Cold water? How many radials do you have total?

Without looking at my paperwork I think I'm 30 odd radials feeds for both hot and cold, I was going to leave basins and wc separate.

Do you intend to insulated all your pipework? The reasoning for hot is obvious, cold though - will it stop condensation forming on those pipes? Just pondering these things after seeing your pic.

Haven’t insulated colds, hots and hot return all run next to each other in same 28mm insulation. 

Thats is a lot of pipes @LA3222, I have another cold not on the Water softer, then another 7 hot returns 

i have 4 bathrooms a boot room a kitchen and a utility, so 21 runs in total. so yours is either huge or you must be running a separate hot to every tap. 

Can anybody hazard an estimate of the difference in cost for this if you have to pay labour & materials v a standard setup?  Also, what are the main benefits?

I can imagine what a lash this would look like with the average site plumber!

• Like 1

5 bathrooms, kitchen, utility @Russell griffiths so probably same amount of outlets as you. I was planning on running seperate radial to each outlet, main reason to allow individual isolation/bringing online and to keep fittings getting boarded over to a minimum.

Just looked, 24 cold and 13 hot at the minute. I have random stuff like a cold for drinking water near steam room, cold supply for steam room, individual supplies to appliances like fridge, dishwasher etc, I have two sets of outside taps with hot and cold supplies.

Nothing is set in stone yet so I may reassess the huge number of runs I have ?

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

5 bathrooms, kitchen, utility @Russell griffiths so probably same amount of outlets as you. I was planning on running seperate radial to each outlet, main reason to allow individual isolation/bringing online and to keep fittings getting boarded over to a minimum.

Just looked, 24 cold and 13 hot at the minute. I have random stuff like a cold for drinking water near steam room, cold supply for steam room, individual supplies to appliances like fridge, dishwasher etc, I have two sets of outside taps with hot and cold supplies.

Nothing is set in stone yet so I may reassess the huge number of runs I have ?

Cold feeds for outside taps should be off the rising main, before the domestic stopcock, rather than fed from the internal plumbing setup ;)  
As for the rest of the runs, stick to your guns and don’t worry about the number of runs. It’s a far better setup than series plumbing, and bums do twitch when the numbers start getting to what some would see as ‘silly’.

Are you doing hot returns to basins / sinks? 

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@LA3222 The HRC can be the same one - doesn’t matter if it’s the same feed as it goes back to the tank Secondary Return port. How are you controlling the pump..?

Timer of some description I reckon rather than PIR for a simpler setup. I need to crack on with fully fleshing out my plans - back at work (therefore living away from home) tomorrow so will have nothing to do in the evenings other than plan this!!

2 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Yes, I'm planning on splitting the hots into two different temps. Basins will be on lower temp HRC.

Beware the regs / good practices on the lower temp ‘dead legs’. Ideally you should be putting lower temp TMV’s at the point of discharge rather than point of origin. With 50oC set point at source, is there really any reason to lower the second group? At that temp you have little to zero risk of scalding and I assume your outlets will all be mixers anyway? Seems a bit OTT tbh. 

• 1 month later...

On the subject of hot returns, 3 times now I’ve been told that the pumped fitted in out hot return loop is incorrect.

The first to tell me was an electrician so I kinda ignored him, the next two were plumbers so I had to pay a bit more attention. They all say that the pump in the picture below is for a heating circuit and should not be used in a hot return circuit. They tell me I should have a bronze pump for the hot return. I know nothing of these things, can anyone shed any light on this?

3C32E873-8DCB-465E-88E5-8BD2065750E0.jpeg

C69569A8-6675-4427-89FA-690297BBF68F.jpeg

Perhaos because CH loops can be dosed with corrosion inhibitors where as secondary loops can't. That might affect pump life but if you have already paid for it then I'd use it until it fails.

Several ebay sellers appear to sell that pump as secondary loop pump but I can't find any info on an RS25/6 on the Wilo website.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Temp said:

CH loops can be dosed with corrosion inhibitors where as secondary loops can't.

That would appear to be the consensus and makes sense to me.

7 hours ago, Temp said:

That might affect pump life but if you have already paid for it then I'd use it until it fails.

But do I actually want a corroding pump in my potable hot water return. I'm sure it's not going to kill me and probably not event kill the taps but for how many years would I be running rusty hot water in to the sink before the pump finally fails? 

7 hours ago, Temp said:

I can't find any info on an RS25/6 on the Wilo website.

Neither can I which seems odd. Is it likely to be a discontinued model? 

~~~

Googling this issue led me to this separate concern.

Can I use Hep2O in a continuously operated re-circulating system?

No. Continuously operated re-circulating systems (Secondary Hot Water Circulation/Ring main installations) are very different from conventional hot water supply and central heating systems found in domestic properties, for which Hep2O products have been tested.

Thats from the Wavin site, and Hep2O has been used in our hot return loop. As ours won't be continuously operating I think we're in the clear but it was going to be initially. I didn't really want a hot return circuit but the plumber cajoled me in to agreeing to one and came up with a simple solution to only make it run when the bathrooms are occupied.