Win the Wilderness: Alaska

Archer

A programme that some people might have missed. We've just finished all 6 episodes on BBC catch up and it was thoroughly engaging. The show is about 6 couples competing to win a house in the wilderness of Alaska. 

The really interesting part though is the older couple that are giving up their home. It's incredible because the guy and his wife trekked into the Alaskan wild 30 years ago - 100 miles from a road supposedly - and then self- built a huge 3 storey log cabin out of the woods. They lived in a shack for the first 9 years until the house was livable, fending off bears and preparing 2000 tree logs by hand with no major plant equipment. They cleared an airstrip by hand from the forest. It's crazy, inspirational stuff and might give anyone having a tough build a bit of a lift.

7 hours ago, Archer said:

fending off bears and preparing 2000 tree logs by hand with no major plant equipment. They cleared an airstrip by hand from the forest. It's crazy, inspirational stuff and might give anyone having a tough build a bit of a lift.

thats just what my road and house clearing has felt like .LOL

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I have one question about this house, how did he install his foundations?! Surely he couldn't get concrete to that location. I wonder what he used in place of it?

I wondered the same thing. In South Island,  New Zealand where I worked for a year, timber piles were quite common so I wonder if that's what they used. Possibly with the ends coated or wrapped somehow