Budget Taken a Hit...

2 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Demolition sounds expensive for crumbling outbuildings; I'd strip it out of the quote and get it priced separately, especially if there are any materials worth salvaging (old bricks, tiles?).

There are about 1000 imperial bricks, a fair amount of slate tiles, 2 concrete slabs of sorts...

@JFDIY yes that section feels on the steep side. This doesn't include bathroom fittings. 

Tbh I think with corona we are going to struggle to get straight quotes out of anyone at the moment. This builder said he may need to revise completely because everything is going to be more expensive out the other side.

I think for now I just have to concentrate on getting the old outbuildings down and the foundations in.

1 hour ago, harry_angel said:

There are about 1000 imperial bricks, a fair amount of slate tiles, 2 concrete slabs of sorts...

We did our own demolition of the old bungalow, gave away or sold all the old materials except the concrete which we had crushed on site to use as sub-base.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We did our own demolition of the old bungalow, gave away or sold all the old materials except the concrete which we had crushed on site to use as sub-base.

How did you demolish the bungalow? I think our outbuildings would probably come down with a judicious push from a mini digger. They're not in a great way.

I would love to sell some of the barn (lot of timber, fair amount of slate tiles, regency bricks) but have been having zero joy on Ebay et al so far.

I'm not sure if it's me but £14k incl VAT just feels like quite a big hit to pull down a crumbling barn, dig some trenches and do a pour, but that is probably me being naive!

How did you demolish the bungalow?

Johnny Cash has the answer to that, though he was going in the other direction :-).

There's a blog about it here, with photographs of different stages. I think "dismantle" is a better word than demolish, depending how much you want to salvage and sell rather than skip, followed by careful storage, and disposing of over an period of a couple of years.

Edited by Ferdinand

59 minutes ago, harry_angel said:

How did you demolish the bungalow? I think our outbuildings would probably come down with a judicious push from a mini digger. They're not in a great way.

I would love to sell some of the barn (lot of timber, fair amount of slate tiles, regency bricks) but have been having zero joy on Ebay et al so far.

I'm not sure if it's me but £14k incl VAT just feels like quite a big hit to pull down a crumbling barn, dig some trenches and do a pour, but that is probably me being naive!

We had several quotes for the asbestos removal which ranged from £4400 to well over double that and it cost us less to have the concrete crushed on site and reused than to be taken away and new sub-base brought in. This was all done a couple of years ago. I put an entry on my blog about it.

• Like 2

When we moved in to our old house on site, we found 1500 unused imperial bricks from the 1960s stacked up. I cleaned them and put on pallets. Called the local reclaim merchant and he said that sadly there was no market for them, just to use for hardcore on site. His view was that there had been industrialised hand demolition of old brick buildings in eastern europe and the market was flooded with very cheap vintage bricks.

You may be local in finding a local buyer if they're unique to the area but its a trade off of your time in hand salvaging materials and storing safely vs smacking the whole lot down.

Quite a bit of demolition 'cost' is the removal of spoil. This is inevitably crushed and you buy it back as Type 1, paying twice. One load we had was full of pipes, wiring, taps etc so had obviously come straight from another building site.

That said, I looked into crusher hire and to get a decent size machine that wouldn't jam easily was not that cheap either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vijay said:

What's the management and site costs for?

Typically things like the cost of a visiting site manager, providing WC, site accommodation & storage, hardstandings, skips for waste, keeping the site tidy, incidental plant & equipment, maybe scaffolding, maybe the provision of water & electricity...

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

We have our build date starting in late July, fingers crossed this can still go ahead.

I had planned on selling some shares to fund some of the build/ rent a second property but they have halved so also abit worried.

still need to borrow back 50-60k via remortgage so hopefully this will be ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan1983 said:

We have our build date starting in late July, fingers crossed this can still go ahead.

I had planned on selling some shares to fund some of the build/ rent a second property but they have halved so also abit worried.

still need to borrow back 50-60k via remortgage so hopefully this will be ok

Fingers crossed for you and GL. One word of warning, valuers were massively down valuing due to Brexit even before Corona struck so now....well ours was down valued by £75k on valuations from 3 years ago. I literally shudder to think what they'd value it at right now...

We are looking at possibly getting 2 x unsecured personal loans for c. £25k, or a bridging loan...all messier than it was meant to be!

Thank you 

it was last valued about 2 years ago market is still quite strong here but no doubt it will not have moved at all since last valuation or even dipped slightly.

Not sure on how to play it really, borrow back before as ‘extension’ or do I get part way through knocking it down then remortgage as a new build.

Not sure which way will be less hassle

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 10:32, harry_angel said:

Fingers crossed for you and GL. One word of warning, valuers were massively down valuing due to Brexit even before Corona struck so now....well ours was down valued by £75k on valuations from 3 years ago. I literally shudder to think what they'd value it at right now...

We are looking at possibly getting 2 x unsecured personal loans for c. £25k, or a bridging loan...all messier than it was meant to be!

Hi Harry,

I'm embarking into self build journey and the plot I'm looking to complete had been down-valued by almost 22% by lender's surveyor, owing to Covid situation.

Not sure what would happen next. I'm yet to talk to my mortgage advisor and seller, however want to seek inputs on, if I could call this out as a reason to negotiate the buying price?

What happens if the buyer is not reducing the price and the lender is not happy with sellers cost?

Any first hand advice would be highly beneficial.

Thanks

V

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V22 said:

if I could call this out as a reason to negotiate the buying price?

Yes. I would also show them the valuation as 22% is quite a chunk. Just remember they may decide to take it off the market for a year or two.

• Like 1

Have you got all the permissions, soil surveys, asbestos surveys, water surveys etc? Are there neighbours around who may demand a Party Wall agreement? These all cost alot in Surrey (we're in Spelthorne).

Have you got site insurance and warranty? Again, these each take a grand or so off your budget.

We found skips to be very expensive in our area, particularly on a narrow plot (when scaffolding is up we cannot have a skip on site so have to rely on wait-and-load every 3-4 weeks and it just drains the budget (hopefully scaffolding will be down next week). 

You'd need to have a small contingency budget - practice shows you can never predict 100% of costs, no matter how careful you are. Anything from bad weather to a nasty neighbour can cause issues. 

If you are semi-rural, check you have no bats or crested newts around - this would be a disaster and drain funds before you even start.

Demolition-wise, our bungalow raised to ground in 3 days by a team of 4ppl without any machinery, with some bits still salvageable, so it is doable. 

• Like 1