Stain/preservative or barn paint for cladding?

gc100

Hi,

Anyone have experience of whether a wood preservative black stain would be better over say a classic barn paint? We want a black finish on our barn conversion, but the Mrs prefers seeing the wood grain more with a stain than say a traditional barn paint. My concern is the amount of maintenance require and the also its about 2-3 more expensive it seems for a stain for the same area.

Thanks

I have stained oak cladding on one outbuilding and barn black painted softwood on another.

The stained oak is treated with Ronseal General Purpose wood stain which is spirt based. Faces exposed to the sun fade and i restain them once a year using a small cheap Hoselock pump up plant sprayer. Much quicker than using a brush. Don't expect the sprayer to survive but a sprayer isnt much more than the cost of a decent large brush and the paint doesn't run down your arm.

My garage was clad using softwood prepainted with barn black 12 years ago. Some sheltered areas have gone green and need recoating this year. That's a pretty good life but sadly I don't know what make of paint was used.

Thanks @Temp , so in general the barn paint is much less maintenance than the stain. I know how the barn paint last as my father uses it on his sheds, the unknown is the stain. It seems its very susceptible to direct light - does the wood silver off, or if you treat it each year its ok? 

Why did you choose stain over the paint given the extra maintenance and fading?

thanks

I painted our garden shed with Osmo Country Colours charcoal a couple of years ago & its still looking good. The weather here is pretty brutal, a mixture of salty rain, strong sunlight & wind. It was pretty expensive though & I didn’t get the l/m2 coverage advertised. I would do it again. 

I used Sadolin Classic stain on cladding that covers parts of our extension. The cladding was replaced in 2012 and I had to re-coat the west-facing part last year. The south-facing section, which is shaded by a large beech, still looks OK, but could now do with a clean as it's starting to go green!

On 31/03/2020 at 09:15, Nick1c said:

I painted our garden shed with Osmo Country Colours charcoal a couple of years ago & its still looking good. The weather here is pretty brutal, a mixture of salty rain, strong sunlight & wind. It was pretty expensive though & I didn’t get the l/m2 coverage advertised. I would do it again. 

Wow just looked at the pricing £70/2.5L- I have about 130m2 to cover with say 2 coats works out I suppose £1000. 

It it lasts then it might be worth it compared to re-applying, but thats as if.

On 01/04/2020 at 10:35, DavidFrancis said:

I used Sadolin Classic stain on cladding that covers parts of our extension. The cladding was replaced in 2012 and I had to re-coat the west-facing part last year. The south-facing section, which is shaded by a large beech, still looks OK, but could now do with a clean as it's starting to go green!

So about 5 years between coats then? Thats about the same for barn paint I think.

Just using sone bdec barn paint this morning. 're coating some stuff that's 12months old but 9nly because it has got filthy and knocked. Garage side door. Also doing an old cast iron stench pipe. 

The coverage rate is pretty good 

Bedec satin black barn paint on my gate 6 years now. 3 coats on new, reject scaffold boards. Even the 1st coat covered like magic. 

Then:

SAM_8559

SAM_8560

Just now (after a wash for the photoshoot, bird sh!t really shows up on black ?):

20200405_095237.thumb.jpg.9898f11d8424cf08d0cd1bcb86b94f5d.jpg

Before Bedec I was a Sadolin man. Always thought it took too long to dry. With Bedec you can get 3 coats on in a day and it's water based.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oz07 said:

@Onoff is there a thread for your gate? Is it a slider? What did it cost you?

It is a slider. No thread per se on here. It's just a frame I drew up and paid to have fab'd up and galvanised by my long term fabricator.

I'd do it different next time as the upturned channel is a magnet for leaves and beech nuts.

Think it was around £250. Sliding gate kit came from Easy Gates another £500. Posts were freebie scrap. Rails from Barrier Components in Thurrock. Never really tallied the cost. Here's a Flickr link, only 346 photos to wade through! ?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYQgVgE

Still not finished btw!

• Like 1

On my recommendation a mate used Bedec Barn Paint on his previously painted fence and gate. He wasn't impressed as despite keying the surface it didn't seem to take. We tried it here too on a previously wood stained / pu varnished door. It covered OK but seems easy to scuff and chip.

On new or previously untreated wood though it's brilliant imho.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 14:00, Onoff said:

I'd do it different next time as the upturned channel is a magnet for leaves and beech nuts.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on alternative channels please. I'm mulling over a sliding gate option.

(sorry for off topic)