Temporary accommodation on site - when access is tricky

Morning all. Recently been granted change of use (agricultural to residential) on our barn, so, as things begin to crystalise and we are beginning to let ourselves believe this might actually happen, I've been pondering our on-site accommodation options. In an ideal world we would have a big static caravan there - already borehole water and electricity on site so half way there - but access is awful. Our fields are down a very narrow, winding lane with high Devon banks on either side. We managed to get one of the static transporters to come and have a look and there was virtually non-stop sucking of teeth - width goes down to 8ft in places. So, what options? Accommodation would be for the 4 of us - wife and two children 7 and 5yo, so we need something reasonable. There is a chance we could get a static dragged a mile or so through fields but I'm not sure the thing would survive the journey. I don't fancy spending a year++ in a caravan or two. I have searched high and low on the internet and it seems statics don't come apart - or at least if they do, they won't go back together. I've approached a helicopter transport company - and they quoted £120k for moving one a mile from a nearby layby. So, er, I decided not to pursue that one...

Any ideas?

If you can get access across the fields, wait for better weather then put the static on a low loader and get a local farmer to drag it across with a tractor rather than towing it.

I bet there is a local farmer has a low loader.

To be honest now is the time while roads are deserted.....

We live on a narrow lane and bought an end of life 40ft x 12ft caravan off a local park and their regular guy got in on site, and off a few years later. Was very tight but they knew what they were doing and they had the appropriate articulated transporter.

I did look into other options, such as craning etc but a) expensive (though not helicopter expensive) and b) good chance of destroying the van as they're not that robust really.

We needed to widen our access and rip out some hedges, both times I had to get neighbours to move parked cars and a few trees lost a few branches but we got there.

So if an experienced transport guy says it can be done then you're good, equally if they say you can't then you probably cant.

Living in one is not that bad, we had two pre-teen kids at that stage and we all muddled along. Summer is harder than winter to be honest.

If it's a non starter then maybe you can look at a large flatpack summerhouse style building (or two)?

4 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

If you can get access across the fields, wait for better weather then put the static on a low loader and get a local farmer to drag it across with a tractor rather than towing it.

I bet there is a local farmer has a low loader.

To be honest now is the time while roads are deserted.....

Agree - the wheels on a static are only really good for getting them into final position and on and off the transporter - even then you need to use mats or ramps if on anything other than hardstanding. 

Thanks both. Agree low-loader would be the way to go if it was through fields - but even then there would be a few very tight bends. What are the shortest statics? Could get two 10-ft wide short ones (eg 20ft?) if possible, convert one for bedrooms only for example.

I have seen statics as short as 20ft but they are not common.  Even the smallest are 10ft wide, but when it's on a transporter that width is a few feet off the ground if that makes a difference.  Here is ours arriving

caravan_1.thumb.jpg.4e7f324d9e19dbe20db74715bd70fec1.jpg

How about a large touring caravan, they are not usually over about 8 feet wide which might make all the difference?

@Tom is upgrading access at this stage an option?  E.g widening where possible, drainage works, levelling off. By the sounds of it you're going to have to improve access for construction anyway - concrete and stone deliveries etc. Will make life easier all round by throwing a few grand on a few dozen loads of stone and widening works.

Have you looked at touring caravans? We can't have a static either as our access is over a canal bridge. There is only two of us so it's probably a little more realistic for us to live in a caravan.

I'm sure I saw one that was a 7 berth. Not sure how practical it is long term but maybe worth considering https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/229396531540557/

Access isn't actually too bad for lorries, the lane serves farms etc. Widening, not possible as the road is essentially sunk between high devon banks. Re caravans, if it was two of us I think that might work (though we'd probably be divorced by the end), but with 2 children as well...

Log cabins/shipping containers etc in theory yes, but to actually fit the things out would probably cost more than a few years rent in somewhere nearby. At some stage we do want to put some structures in for glamping etc, but going to have to mull those plans for several years before really making up our minds.

I need to approach the farmer about access through his fields. Even paying him a few grand to take down a gatepost here or there to make it possible would be worth it, but even then there are some tight bottlenecks.

Has anyone craned a static?

59 minutes ago, Tom said:

Re caravans, if it was two of us I think that might work (though we'd probably be divorced by the end), but with 2 children as well...

Tell me about it, working from home with the OH is annoying enough at the moment.

One of our other considerations is if you have any local campsites that may do you a deal. We found one albeit it's 7 miles away but they actually have a two bed static they normally rent out but they did say if we agreed to a 6 month minimum they would let us have it for £350 a month. That includes electric, water etc only extra was gas for heating which would probably be minimal. At the moment it's a toss up between this or a touring caravan on site for us. Comfort v being on site....

Edited by canalsiderenovation

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We can't have a static either as our access is over a canal bridge.

if there is access to either side of the bridge, or via a field do not underestimate using a Bailey Bridge. They are surprisingly cost effective and as long as you publicise via CRT, you can ask for a canal to be closed for a couple of days so it may be worth thinking about that in your situation. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

if there is access to either side of the bridge, or via a field do not underestimate using a Bailey Bridge. They are surprisingly cost effective and as long as you publicise via CRT, you can ask for a canal to be closed for a couple of days so it may be worth thinking about that in your situation. 

I can't see this working as where the house is they would have to get to the bridge first which is quite narrow. There is only us and a farm after the bridge and I do think the farm have alternative access but they tend to use the bridge for tractors as the farm fields are notoriously wet. 

And communicating with CRT - forget it. They are the most awkward, impossible people to deal with.

IMG_20200328_125655.thumb.jpg.44e4402cf97741e729aed8df17d50ab6.jpg

I looked into craning as a main road runs 100m from our house (separated from ours by bollards, all used to be the same road years ago).

Crane hire was not that expensive but both van movers and crane operator warned that the van could twist and be destroyed.

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I can't see this working as where the house is they would have to get to the bridge first which is quite narrow. There is only us and a farm after the bridge and I do think the farm have alternative access but they tend to use the bridge for tractors as the farm fields are notoriously wet. 

And communicating with CRT - forget it. They are the most awkward, impossible people to deal with.

IMG_20200328_125655.thumb.jpg.44e4402cf97741e729aed8df17d50ab6.jpg

What is the actual width of that bridge?

And the weight limit?

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I looked into craning as a main road runs 100m from our house (separated from ours by bollards, all used to be the same road years ago).

Crane hire was not that expensive but both van movers and crane operator warned that the van could twist and be destroyed.

If it's just wanting to get a caravan past the bollards, could the caravan delivery wagon not back up to the bollards, then arrange the unloading ramps the other side of the bollards?  It all comes down to are the bollards taller than the load deck of the wagon?

16 hours ago, joe90 said:

@Tom you mention glamping eventually, why not build a large glamping pod fir you to live in then use for income after the build is complete?.

We'd want something with a fairly light footprint TBH Joe, and finding/building something that we could all live comfortably in for a year+, and then it being in a fit state for people to pay to stay there, sounds expensive. The thing with statics is they are almost free (give or take a few thousand...) and they are pretty comfortable by the look of them. Moot point I know if you can't get the thing on to your site though.

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

If it's just wanting to get a caravan past the bollards, could the caravan delivery wagon not back up to the bollards, then arrange the unloading ramps the other side of the bollards?  It all comes down to are the bollards taller than the load deck of the wagon?

Wouldn't work - X marks our plot, and the bollards are in red - lots of mature trees etc either side, so it would have needed craned up and over everything.

Bollards also higher than the loader deck.

As an aside, those bollards are  the preferred parking location of our regular speed check - it's quite a busy road as it is at the end of town and runs to the next village. We had a 13yr old lad knocked down and killed there just before xmas, so needed more than ever.

1679857515_SL67QF-GoogleMaps.png.efd6c1c95d81b512b45bf6cbeaf3652c.png

Edited by Bitpipe

Spookily that’s very similar to our neighbours but instead of bollards they had tree stumps( yeh I know, they could come out), like @ProDave said, the delivery wagon reversed up to the stumps and was higher than them so unloaded over the top of them, our road was also Single track, I was amazed at the drivers ability, don’t rule it out, get them to visit (ha, when they can) to view the entrance.

And don't forget you can tow the static with any half decent car.  They are not road legal due to weight, lack of suspension and brakes etc, But providing you take it slow you can tow them a fair distance.  That's how I got mine onto the site.

(don't forget to chock the wheels before you unhitch)

caravan_6.thumb.jpg.9cf3b1481048bffd93a5384f6b76c186.jpg

On 30/03/2020 at 19:25, ProDave said:

What is the actual width of that bridge?

And the weight limit?

That's a bit of a contentious issue. Technically 5 tonne as we had to have a very expensive  heritage assessment done on it and that's what is in all paperwork. I say it technically is as I daily watch agricultural, excavation and other vehicles and farm machinery going to the farm daily that far exceeds 5 tonnes using the bridge despite them having alternative field access and no one bats an eyelid. Neighbours advise they have reported the farm to CRT numerous times being concerned about the weight restrictions (imo it's more  likely the noise that bothers them as there are some houses on the lane that are probably sick to the back teeth of them rattling past their window down the narrow lane) and no one has bothered to come back to them. Until it collapses they probably won't do anything!

Width, I'm not sure I'd have to measure it.