Making hypochlorous acid

Jeremy Harris

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

this is why I think people have the “wrong end of the stick” on this matter. I wonder how many people know we use chlorine as mentioned above?

Not many.

But it is a good way to keep the public swimming pool clear of people.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nila said:

Most of the similar models advertise them as 'Hypochlorous Acid making machine' but in their description they says it is making 'Sodium hypochlorite'

Sodium Hypochlorite is automatically created when Hypochlorous acid is present with Na ions (from NaCl)

11 hours ago, Nila said:

Then they say it is completely safe, chemical free and non-toxic and can be used to disinfect anything even food!

Only because of the low concentrations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochlorous_acid

18 hours ago, Temp said:

I've read that 1L of 5% bleach in 49L of water is good enough for cleaning surfaces.Tesco sell 2L bottles of 1% thin bleach for £0.38p. I reckon 3 of those in 45L of water will give similar results. Total cost under £1 for 50L.

PS: yes their thin bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite.

Thanks for your reply but it's not about the cost. Bleach is not good for the environment. I am looking for a safe chemical free product for disinfecting.

3 hours ago, Nila said:

. I am looking for a safe chemical free product for disinfecting.

Not sure that's possible. UV light is the only thing I can suggest.

• Like 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7315945/#bib38

I found this article that explains everything about Hypochlorous Acid and how to make it. I thought the key was adding vinegar to salt water solution to lower the PH and the ones that say their machine is making Sodium Hypochlorite are using only salt and water, but in that aticle there is a link at the bottom of the page (Ref No. 66) to a machine that is called Eco One and its description says that the size of the electrolysis cell makes the difference.

"Size of the Electrolysis Cell - Our electrolysis cell is relatively large for a 1 Liter pitcher and only requires 2 grams of salt to generate 200 ppm of hypochlorous acid. Even higher concentrations can be generated if the system is run for extra cycles. Many low quality systems manufactured in China are requiring very large quantities of salt. If you see that the directions on a system require 5 to 20 grams of salt per Liter, you can be sure that the electrolysis cell is very small and your solution salinity will be extremely high. Most likely the system is generating sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) and not hypochlorous acid (HOCl)."

Here is the link: https://store.ecoloxtech.com/ecoone

They ship worldwide but it's quite expensive! It also says:

"Titanium Electrolysis Cell - The cell must be manufactured in high grade titanium. Systems using electrolysis cells that are manufactured from lower quality alloys will deteriorate quickly and may not be generating hypochlorous acid. If the electrolysis cell is made from steel or other lower grade metals, the electrolysis cell will deteriorate very quickly and will generate harmful chromium compounds that can be carcinogenic."

So that statement makes me worried about buying a cheap one.