Plywood wall covering OK at back of utility cupboard?

andyscotland

I'll soon be ready to start fitting plumbing / services in my utility room. I have a corner cupboard which will contain soil stack, hot and cold manifold, UFH manifold, consumer unit and the washing machine / tumble dryer.

I was going to make the back wall of this plasterboard on 25mm battens (over PIR onto brick) as the rest of the space.

I'm now thinking a sheet of 18mm ply would be easier, as then I could fit pipe/cable clips, valves, electrical units etc wherever I wanted without worrying about getting fixings into/through the plasterboard.

Just wondering, if I do that do I need to paint the plywood with something special for fire resistance or can I use normal emulsion paint?

Scottish Building regs if that makes a difference.

Why not ply it and then cover in plasterboard and paint, I will be doing this to 90% of my walls 15mm  osb then plasterboard 

i did my last house like this and it makes an amazing difference 

solid feeling, easy to fix to, adds protection to plasterboard against puncture and dents. 

Peter beat me, must learn to type faster. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not ply it and then cover in plasterboard and paint, I will be doing this to 90% of my walls 15mm  osb then plasterboard 

i did my last house like this and it makes an amazing difference 

solid feeling, easy to fix to, adds protection to plasterboard against puncture and dents. 

Peter beat me, must learn to type faster. 

Hi @Russell griffiths - interested in this as also building with ICF (one day). Did you just screw the OSB into the webbing on your ICF then screw the plasterboard into the OSB or did you batten things out - which I understands also helps to some degree with U values?

Edited by Adam2

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Adam2 the last house I did was timberframe 

in this one icf I intend adding a service batten then screw osb, then stick plasterboard, no screw holes in plasterboard to fill,just joints to tape, nowhere near ready to do this yet so this is just my first thoughts. 

15mm osb sounds a bit over the top when you will have batons at std spacing 

11mm should be fine 

6 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Adam2 the last house I did was timberframe 

in this one icf I intend adding a service batten then screw osb, then stick plasterboard, no screw holes in plasterboard to fill,just joints to tape, nowhere near ready to do this yet so this is just my first thoughts. 

Great will follow with interest