Insulated Foundation Costs

Triassic

I'm wondering if the weak Pound has affected the cost of importing the complements for insulated foundations, if so by how much? I will be ordering mine soon and want to understand the cost implications.

Also is anyone seeing timber frame prices rise, it was reported on Radio 4 yesterday that timber prices have rised by 17% post Brexit! 

I have a large pending order with my ICF supplier, foundations and wall from one company. Approximately 256m2 of raft and 430m2 of wall blocks, I went firm on the supply/design company around Brexit time so agreed with them a 2.5% deposit based on current prices, however the final quote will be decided at a mutually agreed time.  I am hoping prices will recover some what from that point and agree for the contract price at that point.  The gamble is mine but at the point of agreement the price was rubbish (just after Brexit result) so worth waiting.

This is a good reminder to look at the current price and decide to lock in or not.  The supply I snot until just after Easter 17 so I have some time.

17% is pretty much the fall in value of the pound from this time last year from €1.4 to €1.16.

Just did some rough calcs and we sourced about £170k of materials for our build directly from EU (MBC frame, Gaulhofer windows, RK Door, Velux, MEA lightwells, Megabad bathrooms) so that would have been an additional £29k of cost which we could not have afforded.

I'm sure lots of other elements purchased through merchants & trades (timber, plasterboard, slates, tiles, resin floor etc) came from outside UK also.

Come to think of it, the only bits I'm 100% sure are UK made are the MK sockets and switches.

Perhaps some of these items can and should be sourced and manufactured in the UK but they would likely still be dependent on raw material imports, never mind the available design, engineering and quality expertise (thinking on doors and windows especially) given the very small domestic market for such high spec items. 

So challenging for those building right now and in the coming years, exchange rate could get even worse when Article 50 is invoked (perhaps not if an interim EEA solution is seen as likely) and worse again if tariffs are imposed depending on what the post Brexit trading arrangements are.

32 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

17% is pretty much the fall in value of the pound from this time last year from €1.4 to €1.16.

Just did some rough calcs and we sourced about £170k of materials for our build directly from EU (MBC frame, Gaulhofer windows, RK Door, Velux, MEA lightwells, Megabad bathrooms) so that would have been an additional £29k of cost which we could not have afforded.

I'm sure lots of other elements purchased through merchants & trades (timber, plasterboard, slates, tiles, resin floor etc) came from outside UK also.

Come to think of it, the only bits I'm 100% sure are UK made are the MK sockets and switches.

Perhaps some of these items can and should be sourced and manufactured in the UK but they would likely still be dependent on raw material imports, never mind the available design, engineering and quality expertise (thinking on doors and windows especially) given the very small domestic market for such high spec items. 

So challenging for those building right now and in the coming years, exchange rate could get even worse when Article 50 is invoked (perhaps not if an interim EEA solution is seen as likely) and worse again if tariffs are imposed depending on what the post Brexit trading arrangements are.

And therein lies the fundamental problem with our economy - exposed but not created by the Brexit vote. 

When will governments wake up and realise that really, as an economy, we cannot sustain such a trade deficit? My brother works for a company that sells the products here but virtually everything is imported from the EU - never mind the risks associated with inevitable exchange rate fluctuations but sale of these goods contributes next to nothing to our economy. Bonkers. 

I won't go any further but for as long as your example is the case for anything we build or sell in the UK, our economy will never grow properly. 

I have tried to source from the UK but it's pointless - even Russell Timber Tech don't even make their windows in Glasgow - they get them from elsewhere in the EU - only the doors are made here. I know my ICf blocks used to be made in England but for one reason of another, they are produced in Czech. Depressing. 

Yep trick is to source as much in UK as possible and that's not easy. I think I have found the timber frame components here the cladding and about 50% of the insulation. Was warned by insulation supplier that price rise of PU is coming in January. Other Big ticket items however are very difficult like passive house windows. They all seem to be EU based as are the MVHR units. Still we are keeping the local professionals busy Architect / SE and Jewson. Must get timber ordered. 

38 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Hedge and buy everything now. You will have the cost of the money for the extra few months but that won't be much even if borrowed at 5-6%. I am discussing this with the other half to see if we should do it. 

That doesn't really work for me as the two biggest costs (by far) are the timber frame (package to be supplied most likely by MBC) and windows.

Neither of which I would contemplate ordering until the drawings have been signed off.

Edit: I may though order my roofing slates (Spanish) as they are a given type (as approved). Possibly blocks?

Edited by Barney12

The euro exchange might swing back in favor of the pound. Brexit hasn't apparently been the killer blow to the economy it was touted as and the US voting in trump in a weird sort of way has backed up Britain's decision to leave the euro. Then you have the up and coming referendum in Italy and election in France which might hurt the euro. 

I bought a lot of equipment from Austria when the euro was at 1.35 to the pound. I though I was hard done to because it was at 1.45 almost a month prior. Then the shit really hit the fan when Brexit started gaining traction. It was crazy how much the rate changed when small snippets of news broke out. Mark Carney became my biggest enemy, every time that guy opened his mouth the pound tanked.

Shop about! We bought our eps for the insulated raft from southern ireland start of the year for my parents build, we are looking to buy my eps shortly and is working out pence cheaper per m2 .

Edited by Alexphd1

I work in the Precast industry and my colleague is in Dubai at the moment and has been introduced to this product:

http://www.vodapruf.com/product/lightterm/

I have not even looked at the data sheets/website yet as he literally just sent it but it makes insulated concrete possible. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know, I will be studying it tomorrow at work :)