Hmm, what to get on with…?

20 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Thanks guys, spent the day stripping it down, valves ok, bore etc ok, so took the injector out (don’t think it’s been out since new) and tested it and that works just fine (that surprised me!). Got blisters on my hand so don’t fancy cranking it again tonight ?, still feels low on compression, @scottishjohn will try that tomorrow. 

edit, just remembered, when I measured the rings in the bore there was about a 3mm gap but docs on the tinternet says should be about 14thou ?.?.?.. other measurements were not bad for 60+ years wear.

answers on a postcard to ..........

my brother had one like that --and as he is even older than me -hand cranking was not good 

so i machined a saxo gearbox bell housing with a starter motor on it to get rid of all the actual gearbox  -attached it and  a saxo flywheel to the lister one --fitted a battery +bingo electric start

Edited by scottishjohn

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

my brother had one like that --and as he is even older than me -hand cranking was not good 

so i machined a saxo gearbox bell housing with a starter motor on it to get rid of all the actual gearbox  -attached it and  a saxo flywheel to the lister one --fitted a battery +bingo electric start

brill, not sure I want to be bothered (or can) to do all that, it’s going as soon as my landscaping is done and I will simply have a carry all on the back of my furgie (which is electric start ?) for any carrying stuff about.

Did you remove the piston rings and refit them?

I was led to believe that the way they seal in a diesel engine is that they rely on the grove around the piston being greater than the thickness of the ring.  This allows the higher pressure gas to force out the ring, making a better seal when the bores are worn.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Did you remove the piston rings and refit them?

i was led to believe that they way they seal in a diesel engine is that they rely on the grove around the piston being greater than the thickness of the ring.  This allows the higher pressure gas to force out the ring, making a better seal when the bores are worn.

yes, I found a manufacturer of piston rings (that’s all they make) and they had over 200 pages of piston ring dimensions for Nearly every engine made (Including 60 year old Petters) so I had data to reference (what did we do before the tinternet eh?).

So they were not gumped up at all.

no

Ez-Start it is then.

been using that since I bought it but ALL the advise online is NEVER use it as it causes so much damage. @scottishjohn will be along in a mo to explain why!.

29 minutes ago, joe90 said:

no

been using that since I bought it but ALL the advise online is NEVER use it as it causes so much damage. @scottishjohn will be along in a mo to explain why!.

yep --its like a drug 

# it will remove all the oliy buld up around the pistons+ rings ,so they become a loose fit-- that biuld up of carbon and oily reisdue is good on an old engine it makes up for wear

-blow that off with the big "knock" you get when it fires up and thats where your comp has gone probably --bad piston and ring fit -cylinder leakage test would have shown that before stripping

too much of the "drug"  and you can bend a con rod.

If it had an elctric start you could spray it from a distance at the air filter and feed it in  --but a squirt on an engine that is stopped  is not good 

I will use it if really required ,but my favorite  is propane from a plumbers torch thats not lit- put torch in air filter and turn it on then crank engine

an engine will run on gas --quite often use it when changing a diesel filter --some are a real pain to bleed through ,butane will work as well--but NEVER oxygen -that will blow the head clean off diesel or petrol it works 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

when I measured the rings in the bore there was about a 3mm gap but docs on the tinternet says should be about 14thou

1mm =38.7thou --so your rinmgs are just plain worn out --probably due to the esay atrt --zero lundbrication - then add no one has given a crap about chanign the oi lfor 50  years and theres yuor excessive wear ,which will mean low ring pressure on the bore as well

basic rrule of thumb is 4thou per inch of bore -more for a highly streesed and hot running turbo motor .

it is allways advisable to measure ring gap and file if they are too tight -something alot of people miss or think they are gapped at factory .

my guees is new rings in that old bore they will be wider due to bore wear --but not 3mm=120thou

If you getting picky then the grooves should not be worn 

EG about 4thou max wider than ring .

I would not clean out piston ring groooves until you try new rings inthem first ,or even the carbon off the top or sides of the piston ,but maybe a new piston is not expensive anyway.

you maybe find new piston comes with rings anyway  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

If it had an elctric start you could spray it from a distance at the air filter and feed it in

this is what I did but with hand cranking (difficult as you need three hands!). Interesting about gas, I knew petrol engines will run on gas, but diesel???, some sites also recomend hot air or warming the pot somehow. I can buy all sorts of bits, pots, piston, rings etc but not sure I want to spend  money on it!

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

this is what I did but with hand cranking (difficult as you need three hands!). Interesting about gas, I knew petrol engines will run on gas, but diesel???, some sites also recomend hot air or warming the pot somehow. I can buy all sorts of bits, pots, piston, rings etc but not sure I want to spend  money on it!

what is it worth if not working ?

how much dioes it weigh ?-scrap only

your decompressor is working __as in it does release the valve when to make compression when you drop it

Iknow when we sold my brothers one they were fighting for it as it had elc start .LOL

correction --Iremembered wrong 39.3thou to 1MM 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

your decompressor is working __as in it does release the valve when to make compression when you drop it

yes mate, checked that, even found my lapping paste and sucker to polish the valves in. Knackered rings! Yes sounds right, I can get a set for £24, piston and rings cost £64 (plus delivery). I did not know about gapping new rings ?. Al least if it’s working I can sell it afterwards I suppose ?

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

yes mate, checked that, even found my lapping paste and sucker to polish the valves in. Knackered rings! Yes sounds right, I can get a set for £24, piston and rings cost £64 (plus delivery). I did not know about gapping new rings ?. Al least if it’s working I can sell it afterwards I suppose ?

how is piston fitted to rod --circlips or sweated on-.me i would go for new piston -- 

do not assume its std size it may have been rebuuilt and re- bore before 

measure piston size

I have a 50ton press and experience --so no problem but if sweated on maybe rings is a better call for you 

Edited by scottishjohn

I think I saw STD stamped on the cylinder, measured the bore with a vernier and very close to the 80mm as std. not sure on gudgen pin fixing, could  not see any circling on the piston so guess it’s sweated!. Think rings are the way to go.

If this is what retirement is going to be like I’m sold. It’s going to be f****** lit.

I’m technically on leave this week rather than “working from home” so I have finally used the Vax as carpet washer. It only took me 5 years to get here. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, daiking said:

If this is what retirement is going to be like I’m sold. It’s going to be f****** lit.

I’m technically on leave this week rather than “working from home” so I have finally used the Vax as carpet washer. It only took me 5 years to get here. 

No , your retirement is helping finish my eternal project. You know you want to secretly!

It's like being retired but permanently stuck on a Sunday on the outer Hebredies (about the only place where most shops still shut on a Sunday)  No thank you.  Retirement where you can't buy anything or go anywhere would not be much fun.

I love being retired, always busy with what I have, buy stuff on toolstation or Ebay most days. SWMBO says I am not a social person, she is dead right, spent last two days digging a 40m French drain (with JCB) As the ground is finally dry ?, if it does rain I have multiple garage projects to get on with. It’s people in flats with family I feel for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

about the only place where most shops still shut on a Sunday

Try my end of the country in the winter.  Things should have been reopening just now.

I semi retired 20 years ago, quite nice doing a few nights a week, not as if I did much in the evenings anyway.

Got paint and filler today.  Ever since I moved into this house, there has been an annoying gap between the wall and the stairs.  Finally got it filled.  Bit more sanding tomorrow and should be good to paint.

I cut and oiled the last 3 bits of skirting today. When they are fitted in a few days that's that finished until I can get some more materials.  That's not the skirting finished, just used up all I have,

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

I cut and oiled the last 3 bits of skirting today. When they are fitted in a few days that's that finished until I can get some more materials.  That's not the skirting finished, just used up all I have,

If you get fed you are welcome  to come and help me --you can camp inthe quarry .LOL

12 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

If you get fed you are welcome  to come and help me --you can camp inthe quarry .LOL

Still got next years firewood to chop and stack.  A shed to tidy up and reoorganise. A deck to finish (until I run out of wood for that) and some work to do in the garden.  Then there is starting on the VAT claim.  Not completely bored yet. but mustn't rush things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I need to get on with.....refitting this 2nd hand door I just put in. I used ordinary spirit levels. Rushed it a bit too tbh. 

Didn't look right so stuck the laser on it. Should have used the laser first off and cut some wedges...but didn't! ?

20200408_223859.thumb.jpg.1a22b244180679d306bd34fe2cb8d2db.jpg