Hmm, what to get on with…?

Scratching my head about what to get on with now that the World has stopped. My timber frame and foundations are being designed as I write. All well there. The council, slow even before Covid-19, has basically now stopped altogether so my submission for discharging-of-planning-conditions has not even been validated after a week. And I don't have permission to start anything as some of the conditions were prior-to-commencement-style conditions.

What about digging the service trenches in the access road? It is an ideal time with no traffic. It is a 40-metre water pipe. And two sewer connections (storm and foul). Can I at least get on with those?

By the way, is trenching in the access road any concern of building control? The access road is not my property and is not an adopted road. Its not owned by anyone.

(I have not appointed building control as yet as I haven't got my building regs drawings.)

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

Thanks @nod. Could I work offsite in my access road?

frankly as long as your neighbours are on board I don’t see why not, I would as long as at each end the depth etc can be seen by BC to comply. I feel for you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Foul will need your sewerage providers to give permission and to inspect if it’s being adopted.

Good point. I got the formal drain-connection approval yesterday from Anglian Water. And then they called me with the usual customer-satisfaction call so I took the opportunity to quiz the guy. He said they are working on five-days notice at the moment. 

I think I might try and get the water pipe put in. That's disruptive for everyone else using the access road and, I assume, does not need any inspections or permissions. I am in contact with a digger driver who may be willing to do the work. If only I can buy 100 metres of 32mm water pipe with all the builders merchants being closed. (I have the water connection quote from Cambridge Water but that is not in the access road, it is down in the public road, and which I assume can be connected later).

Edited by Dreadnaught

2 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I think I might try and get the water pipe put in. That's disruptive for everyone else using the access road and, I assume, does not need any inspections or permissions. I am in contact with a digger driver who may be willing to do the work. If only I can buy 100 metres of 32mm water pipe with all the builders merchants being closed. (I have the water connection quote from Cambridge Water but that is not in the access road, it is down in the public road, and which I assume can be connected later).

It would for Scottish Water who would expect to do a track inspection before they will make the connection.

Could I just add We had a one and a half story building to demolish 

We asked if we could strip the slates off prior to demolition 

He just said you can nick the whole building down as long as you do it by hand 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

Could I just add We had a one and a half story building to demolish 

We asked if we could strip the slates off prior to demolition 

He just said you can nick the whole building down as long as you do it by hand

Was that building control who said that? Or the local council planning dept for the planning conditions?

17 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Was that building control who said that? Or the local council planning dept for the planning conditions?

It was local planners 

I thought we where going to have to dig some test holes also 

I pointed out that we couldn’t dig these by hand They said bring heavy equipment on to do this

Then take it off 

We cut more than thirty large trees down also 

Prior to commencement 

BC don’t care about any of this 

Just reading my Cambridge Water docs that they sent with the water-supply connection quote. Seems that I do need them to inspect the water pipe before closing the trench. I wonder if they are doing inspections in these strange times. I will ask them. As @Temp suggests, maybe loads of photos will do just as well.

By the way, I am looking at sourcing 100m of pipe. Online provider says they are still delivering with a 2-day lead time.

Amazed at the price difference between 32mm and 63mm. £90 vs £350 for 100m. Worth upgrading to 63mm with that price difference?

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

By the way, I am looking at sourcing 100m of pipe. Online provider says they are still delivering with a 2-day lead time.

Amazed at the price difference between 32mm and 63mm. £90 vs £350 for 100m. Worth upgrading to 63mm with that price difference?

not if you never going to need it --which if one ohuse you will not and if you build another the water board will want it to have its own suppy -not joined on to yours

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

The fittings and meter cost loads more for 63mm.  Is it for a sprinkler?  If not, stick with 32mm.  The 63mm can also be a wrestle to install, especially on a cold day.

Quick calculation shows that the head loss on a 100m length of 32mm MDPE, that has two check valves, and two ball valves in line will be around 0.16 bar at a flow rate of 20 litres/minute.  Not worth worrying about, as a normal shower is usually around have that flow rate.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

With a tape measure to indicate the depth of the pipe.

A couple of inspection pipes, i.e. cut some sections of drain pipe, sit on top of your water pipe and back fill around, let's an inspector check the depth of the water pipe him/herself.

I have viewed your site on google earth so have a fair idea as to what you are proposing. 

But, if you trench down the access road towards the public road but don’t intend getting it connected at the same time how are you going to leave the end of the pipe. 

You surely can’t leave it poking out of the ground waiting for a connection, won’t it be a hazard to pedestrians or traffic 

obviously I don’t know the exact location of the connection, but I would have thought you would need to connect at the same time as you trench and backfill, unless you stick it in a duct. 

Thanks chaps. Super!

32mm is is then, not 63mm. No, no sprinklers @Mr Punter just a supply for a normal bungalow.

Good idea @Stones (like the new avatar by the way!).

@Russell griffiths thanks, appreciated! I was assuming that the blue 32mm MDPE pipe would left capped and buried under ground ready to be rediscovered when Cambridge Water do their excavation and connection to the mains. But to be honest I am just making it up as I go along. Don't really know what I'm doing and certainly never done anything like this before!

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

Thanks chaps. Super!

32mm is is then, not 63mm. No, no sprinklers @Mr Punter just a supply for a normal bungalow.

Good idea @Stones (like the new avatar by the way!).

@Russell griffiths thanks, appreciated! I was assuming that the blue 32mm MDPE pipe would left capped and buried under ground ready to be rediscovered when Cambridge Water do their excavation and connection to the mains. But to be honest I am just making it up as I go along. Don't really know what I'm doing and certainly never done anything like this before!

Ooh, that sounds dodgy, are you going to dig right down and up to their main. 

1, what if you bury your pipe and you haven’t left enough slack to connect ??

2, I would be concerned about digging that close to their main, what if you damage it

you normally bury your pipe and leave a 1m piece sticking up so they can trim it back and connect it. 

Did you get a price price for them to do that bit down the access road. 

How owe do you intend cutting your trench in the access road, isn’t it concrete or do I have a poor memory.