slippery decking

Hi All.

Im sure this has been asked but what is the remedy??

My dad has many m2 of treated decking that he has painted. It constantly get to slippery to walk on for him and my mum.

What product should he buy and how should he use it. he is about to redo the decking and his advise costs £600 for undercoat and non slip paint but im sure this is the same as he done before(he is very old)

Is bi Carbonate of Soda the key and when should he use it or shall he just repeat with non slip paint from scfx and the like??

He is a very experienced DIYer, this is the only problem he has never fixed..

Any advise is good..

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Cuprinol Anti Dlip Deck Stain really does what it says on the tin. I was dubious when SWMBO bought it but it's excellent.

https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/anti-slip_decking_stain.jsp

+1.

Not cheap iirc, but I found this under a 2 for 1 deal at Wickes.

Perhaps somebody can comment whether a ‘roll your own’ idea of ‘normal coating plus sprinkle sand on it’ works at all.

Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

+1.

Not cheap iirc, but I found this under a 2 for 1 deal at Wickes.

Perhaps somebody can comment whether a ‘roll your own’ idea of ‘normal coating plus sprinkle sand on it’ works at all.

Ferdinand

Not far off I imagine. We had to paid a pedestrian crossing across a works car park and I ordered the white paint which was offered as a non slip option for a lot more £. Being short on time I just ordered the non slip version. When the paint arrived it consisted of the surface paint and a bag of what I think was silica sand. Never checked as I have used stuff like this for years. Instruction was to sprinkle the silica stuff onto the paint while it was still wet. Very disappointing and predictable result. 

Used similar in the past but mixed into the paint. You rely on the paints adhesion to bind the additive. Really old technique so don’t get sucked into paying a fortune.

Maybe worth mixing your own “recipe”. 

If you use an off the shelf non slip product, stir it regularly when applying.

The Cuprinol stuff is very good. I did our current decking with the (now discontinued?) water-clear stuff and it worked well for maybe 3yrs. I've an unopened can in the attic to re-do it with but it's very low on the list right now...