Have I stuffed up my radiator?

I have just fitted a new radiator, and put new valves on it.

There were two connection pipes from the valve to the radiator, one had a square nut, and the other had a 6 sided nut.

Are these supposed to go on a particular way/side?

I say this as one end of the radiator is weeping, I have put the square connector on the outlet. But now looking at all the other radiators in the house, the square connector is on the inlet.

Have I got them the wrong way round?

Where is the leak.

They are essentially the same fitting, one is made by whoever made the lockshield valve, the other is made by whoever made the TRV.  All the parts that came with the TRV should stay together.

It does not matter which goes in which end of the radiator.

• Like 1

The square nut one is designed to allow a little adjustment to length you can slide the olive along a bit if things don't quite line up. Also to be clear I think that Dave means that it does not matter which end has which fitting but the flow to the TR valve does usually matter.

Edited by MikeSharp01

The square nut that you refer to is called a tail - you can buy new radiator tails.

The TRV should really go on the flow side (easy to check - just see which pipe gets warm first) but most TRVs are now bi-directional and the good ones work fine on the flow or return.

12 hours ago, wozza said:

The square nut that you refer to is called a tail - you can buy new radiator tails.

Thanks, i didn't know that.

I drained it last night and put a load of PTFE on the tail thread, and this morning there isn't any puddle under the rad.