How to empty a vented hot water cylinder?

mike2016

Hi,

Basic question but how do I safely empty a vented hot water cylinder to allow me to insert a T piece into the main 3/4" outflow pipe at the top of the cylinder? 

I plan to close the feed from the cold water tank and use the hot tap in the bathroom / bath tap to drain off a few litres until the pressure drops. I could drill a small hole in the part of the pipe I'm removing to check and drain off any more using an aluminium foil "gutter" into a bucket just in case. Apart from that are there any other tips anyone has to avoid me flooding the kitchen ceiling below a third time?!!

Background:

I'm installing a Mira Mode gravity pumped shower unit so need to tee off the 3/4" to a 1/2" for the hot feed at a 45 degree downward angle to prevent air bubbles entering the pump. 

feed.jpg

22 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Phew! Gave me sweats there.....I quoted imperial as I thought they were the same size!! It's all 15/22mm in my hot press though. That matches the solder fittings I've purchased so should be good to go.....

When I re plumbed my 1930's house 30 years ago, they were all 1/2" and 3/4"  Then you could buy adaptors, both compression and solder to go between imperial and metric.