Fibre Broadband

After having to get my local MSP involved, Openreach have finally updated their systems and recognised that it is entirely possible for me to connect to the new fibre cabinet installed about 250m from my house. 

We are currently on the end of a long local loop but do manage to get standard broadband at a speed of around 5Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload.  While this is generally acceptable, we have 2 data hungry teenagers in the house, plus stream all our TV, so even before the current Covid crisis, I was planning on upgrading to Fibre.

Openreach has put restrictions in place on what their staff will and will not do.  Work at the cabinet and emergency repairs in the home they will do, but not new connection work in the home.  My question therefore is what is involved in the home if you switch from standard to fibre broadband?  Is it simply a new router for me to plug in or do they have to change the master socket / come in to test the connection etc?

No change at home - just a new router normally. 

Fibre enablement for you will need them to route a cable / connection to your krone connection in a local box - whether that is linked to the fibre cabinet is their issue. 

I would have thought it is a new router and master socket for FTTC at least and if it's FTTP then there's definitely a new box to accept the fibre cable required, so a home visit is definitely required.

not sure what your 4g coverage is like up there but you could get a 4g modem and an unlimited data plan to see you through until you can get your new connection.

already sorted out what i will do at new house   mobile router for all phone and internet

will be cheaper than running a land line in and no call charges  £100 equip +setup charge -thats it

my phones at work now run over internet --cheaper and NO call charges

Edited by scottishjohn

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Master box for FTTC is the same as it used copper to the premise. It’s only FTTP that has a different connection. 

yeah, fair comment, I just thought BT might want to upgrade the master socket to one of their new ones that don't need filters attached to them is all.

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Master box for FTTC is the same as it used copper to the premise. It’s only FTTP that has a different connection. 

I can confirm this, as we switched from ADSL to FTTC a year ago.  Only change was for me to install an FTTC capable modem (an FTTC capable combined modem/router is an alternative).  Not significantly different from just changing provider in terms of the stuff that needs to be done inside the house.