cutting osb

redtop

I use a track/plunge saw for this sort of thing (a Titan from Screwfix for around £70(I think?) but they don't appear to sell it anymore) as it's a doddle to use, virtually no breakout and can be used indoors given there being hardly any dust when connected to a vacuum cleaner. The track is only 1.4m long but you can get perfectly good full length cuts without track extensions. My circular saw hasn't seen the light of day since I bought the track saw, and I think I'd find a table saw to be of limited use for me, cumbersome for large sheet materials and would spend most of its time getting in the way when not in use.

1024px-Track_saw.jpeg

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

You will not regret investing in a rail saw (plunge or otherwise) 

Personally i just bought an attatchment for my circular saws but i do also have easy access to a plunge saw if i ever need to cut out for sinks. 

The beauty of circular/plunge saws is that they are little mohammeds. Where the wood is the mountain ?

• Haha 1

TBH I have a Festool Plunge saw and 4m of rail which I can put together in various lengths (Think the whole kit was about £1K) and yet I almost exclusively use my little Dwalt battery saw up against a 2.5m length of 8x50 aluminum bar. It is dead quick and I can get the accuracy I crave. You need thin bar to get under the motor overhang, I marked the saw with the distances from blade edge to base edge both ways to make set up dead easy as well and drilled and countersunk holes in the bar to allow me to clamp it to the board. Total cost about £150 - much better.

• Like 1

I had a dewalt circular saw years ago, gone now but used to use it for all sorts of stuff. think I might go for their 18v model.  most of my other stuff is dewalt so I have the batteries and chargers. make up a rail as suggested (although don't quite understand how to make it)

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have the 18 volt dewalt circular saw and decided to get the one with the blade on the side facing the user, much easier to see what’s going on. 

on the dewalt site now comparing models, I cant see any that have the blade in a different place?

31 minutes ago, redtop said:

looking on the dewalt site I can now see what you mean! wonder why they are on dif sides?

Makita do two versions of their cordless saw with the blade on opposite sides.  Only found out when I accidentally bought blades for the wrong version.  Not sure why they sell two different sided blades, though, as the only difference between them is the side that has the writing on.  To use the "wrong" one you just flip it so the writing faces the saw, instead of facing outwards.