CIL and work unrelated to planning permission

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Sometimes I think that the people that make some of these rules really need to take a close look at their likely impact.

I am a software developer. What I see regularly (and I know there are plenty of people here who can confirm or contest this) is requirements introduced by people who have no skin in the game or who don't actually have to abide by their own rules. Infuriating indeed. 

So when it comes to planners I suspect they can easily find out what they can or can't do either directly or by chatting informally to their colleagues. They will never care about the impact on us. 

19 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

I am a software developer. What I see regularly (and I know there are plenty of people here who can confirm or contest this) is requirements introduced by people who have no skin in the game or who don't actually have to abide by their own rules. Infuriating indeed. 

So when it comes to planners I suspect they can easily find out what they can or can't do either directly or by chatting informally to their colleagues. They will never care about the impact on us. 

FWIW, I believe that many of these rules are just imposed from above, with the people at the sharp end (like planning officers) just having to accept what they've been told.  I get the feeling that our local authority has a team of managers who are only there to create arcane and restrictive rules.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

FWIW, I believe that many of these rules are just imposed from above, with the people at the sharp end (like planning officers) just having to accept what they've been told.  I get the feeling that our local authority has a team of managers who are only there to create arcane and restrictive rules.

Yes, I agree planning officers don't set these rules. Whether it's mostly their management or local authority I don't know. But overall - no bureaucracy will ever stop growing unless forced to from the outside. 

With regards to pre-application advice, I guess "management" tried to find a source of income. My guess is £50 or so fee does not really cover their costs and the extra planning applications with lengthy exchanges as you described may well cost them even more. I wouldn't want to run this service TBH.