Do radiator pipes have to be chased into wall?

gwebstech

Hi

Ive been shown guidance from WRAS that says radiator pipes have to be chased into a wall in a new build. But is this what building regs says - ie do the regs supersede what this says?

Surely on new builds all big house makers just put plastic behind the dot and dab and they dont chase pipes into the wall? What has happened with you guys new builds?

thanks

11 hours ago, nod said:

Yes on the ground floor of most new builds the radiator pipes come down from the ceiling and are clipped to the face of the block work Then covered by the dot and dab 

...same for upstairs too but up from the floor and out from behind. 

I really like the method as it means you have hardly any pipework on show at all, nothing to hit with the hoover, and replacing radiators is easy given the flexibility it gives regarding positioning and width. Radiators can also be easily pulled away from the wall to decorate behind without any plumbing and draining down. 

12 hours ago, nod said:

Yes on the ground floor of most new builds the radiator pipes come down from the ceiling and are clipped to the face of the block work Then covered by the dot and dab 

That's some damned thick dot and dab then.  The only D&D house I ever had, there was barely any gap between the block and the plasterboard.

43 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That's some damned thick dot and dab then.  The only D&D house I ever had, there was barely any gap between the block and the plasterboard.

As Peter says most are in 10 mil But we do regularly dab over 15 mil 

We allow 30 mil just to get over the triangular fitting behind the rad

2 hours ago, MJNewton said:

...same for upstairs too but up from the floor and out from behind. 

I really like the method as it means you have hardly any pipework on show at all, nothing to hit with the hoover, and replacing radiators is easy given the flexibility it gives regarding positioning and width. Radiators can also be easily pulled away from the wall to decorate behind without any plumbing and draining down. 

While you have only a bit of pipe coming out of the floor you still need about a 18 mil void behind the board Much neater than in the past 

I can remember the days when copper pipe for run down the finished walls and a cover clipped over on all new builds 

The ones that had central heating 

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I wish 

Regulations onsite mean we have to encase the gas pipe Usually in the longe or kitchen 

These are never channeled in 

and are 22 mil I think 

30 mil dabs Often on a wall that run the full length of the property