Which tape for PIR?

gc100

Hi,

I've starting putting 120mm PIR inbetween the stud work on the exterior walls. I'd like to then tape these up over the stud as they sit flush. I have another layer of 50mm that will cover all this. What tape should I use? The silver stuff, or the sort of tape you use for the VPC?

Thanks

Silver tape does not work well if it being put onto wet studwork outside.... however if the studwork is 50mm you could use 100mm silver tape and that way it would span the stud and be sealed onto the Pir and if it failed on the wood then not a problem. Sure there will be other options! 

30 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Hi,

I've starting putting 120mm PIR inbetween the stud work on the exterior walls. I'd like to then tape these up over the stud as they sit flush. I have another layer of 50mm that will cover all this. What tape should I use? The silver stuff, or the sort of tape you use for the VPC?

Thanks

I used 3M foil tape, the performance spec was impressive with low to high service temps and all water proof and all sorts.

It was not this one (the one I got was £7 per 50m x 50mm roll), but it gives the idea. Tapes are used for a lot of sealing applications on buildings and it makes no sense to use cheap tape that will separate off the product rendering its application a total waste of time.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-tapes/1444035?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Adhesives+%26+Sealants+%26+Tapes_Whoop-_-Aluminium+Tapes_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-339158924057&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!413164779971!!!g!339158924057!&gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FTzT31fJeUDGa02jVApEOhFhdgdc_Ah5Py2jkHAfPlB_0g6yCRR64CRoCqg8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Ultratape stuff from Toolstation is the best I have used, I found it better than the Screwfix stuff - used about 20 rolls so far.

One tip I can give you is to keep the backing intact, remove what you need from the backing and leave it long, then its easy to remove from the backing.

If you tear off strips and then try to remove the backing, you will end up pulling your hair out, way too fiddly.

Doing a floor is easy as you can do it in long lengths, but ceilings are a different ball game.  I used a lanyard around my neck to hold the roll, I then pulled off the foil from the backing leaving it long.  I also gained a knack off kinking the foil down the length (especially when using long pieces, the kink stops it rolling up on itself. I also found wearing one glove helped.

I would now consider myself an expert aluminium taper.

Edited by wozza