Any experience using spreader plates?

Doodlehime

Looking at feasibility for spreader plates fixed to the underneath of 22mm floor boards in upstairs bedrooms and bathroom (tiles and laminate to go above). ASHP as heating supply. 100mm PIR under the spreader plates held in with batten. Wondered if anyone had done a similar thing and what their experience was like?

Edited by Doodlehime
Grammar

what idid was to fix battons to sides of floor joist then infill with pur -clip pipes to that so they were hard up against the 22mm osb flooring-proud by 5mm before floor laid ---been working fine for 15years,just make sure you blank off the ends of the joist so heat cannot esacape somewhere else.

not saying best way --its what i did and it works fine

• Like 1

I've had that done quite successfully on a project - it's quite fiddly tho.  Have you thought about heating pipes in the skirting boards?  

https://www.discreteheat.com/lp/thermaskirt-skirting-heating/?AdSource=0110&AdMatchType=&AdKeyword=&AdDevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FTwI5czGlriAKrunoW5BDL98dy7rCUGg76o3FV4umkCPuUDEf-_xZxhoCwgIQAvD_BwE

I've not used it but it might be worth a look?  As always make sure the house is really well insulated and as airtight as you can (ventilation managed etc) first. so that you need as little heat as possible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Judy C said:

I've had that done quite successfully on a project - it's quite fiddly tho.  Have you thought about heating pipes in the skirting boards?  

https://www.discreteheat.com/lp/thermaskirt-skirting-heating/?AdSource=0110&AdMatchType=&AdKeyword=&AdDevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FTwI5czGlriAKrunoW5BDL98dy7rCUGg76o3FV4umkCPuUDEf-_xZxhoCwgIQAvD_BwE

I've not used it but it might be worth a look?  As always make sure the house is really well insulated and as airtight as you can (ventilation managed etc) first. so that you need as little heat as possible.

I have looked at those yes but i think quite expensive also the skirting was metal if i remember and i just didn't like the sound of what is essentially hollow trunking around every room. 

On 26/03/2020 at 01:32, Doodlehime said:

I have looked at those yes but i think quite expensive also the skirting was metal if i remember and i just didn't like the sound of what is essentially hollow trunking around every room. 

I've got some samples - they don't look bad actually.  They are expensive and I would be worried about them getting dented.  I think they would be a solution worth considering if putting down underfloor heating was not possible.