£20k house (temporary) build...

So, my mate's builder is walking off the job this week due to you know what. And our architect has said other firms as reducing numbers on sites and not taking on new work.

I'm sure suppliers will be soon to follow. As our build involves a basement, ICF, roof panel system, and lots of other non standard stuff, I'm really worried we won't be starting in may/June as I hoped. 

So that's got me thinking, for the price of two years rent (£20k), could I build a temporary home on site? 60-80m². Don't give a crap about planning or BC as it'll be temporary, and we have the space.

Are there designs out there I can just download and follow? Something made out of 2x4s and ply, felt roof etc etc. I will have the time, and with a new baby on the way, really don't fancy spending two years in this apartment.

(I've looked at prefab homes, but they are closer to £40k and I can't see those companies staying open for much longer)

Edited by Conor

Go to the big shed place beside b&q Boucher rd and buy a large wooden shed, I got an 18*10 foot of them 5 years ago and it's still watertight.

Go to a double glazing salesman, Gumtree and see if he has any old stock going for the skip. A few Windows and a door.

Insulate it all yourself and put in whatever electrics you need plus plumbing and board it out.

They do them already with all this work done but you will pay for this.

https://www.shedfactoryireland.ie/

Yes I know they are like marmite, but get yourself a static caravan, or even TWO.  We paid just over £4K for one in decent nick including delivery.  £10K would get you two, or better still if you can find a twin unit (less common here as most of the stock here is holiday park stuff, twin units are more common on residential sites)

Go out to your caravan dealers TODAY or tomorrow while you still can. Choose one (or 2) and arrange delivery.

You will need to do some ground work like prepare a hard standing base (compacted MOT1 did fine for ours)

We've always found static caravans to be far too cold... Would prefer something with 100mm insulation all round. But I'll look in to it.

We'll definitely get the ground works done as my mate owns a ground works company and will come up on his own and prepare the site.

@Declan52s idea of getting a large timber shed and then insulating it and fitting it out seems a good one.  Being able to quickly get a watertight structure up that you can then fit out makes a lot of sense, as long as it's not too costly.  There always seems to be loads of bargains for things like windows and doors, kitchen units etc that come up on places like Gumtree, too, which could save a few bob.

In defence of the static caravan. Yes they are cold.  One option might be add extra insulation around the outside and clad it in timber?  We just accepted it would need a lot of heating and put a cheap wood burning stove in it.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

In defence of the static caravan. Yes they are cold.  One option might be add extra insulation around the outside and clad it in timber?  We just accepted it would need a lot of heating and put a cheap wood burning stove in it.

I like that idea. I've just finished stripping out the old house and have a massive amount of roof timbers and floor boards. I could clad the thing for basically the cost of insulation and a few boxes of nails. Storage won't be an issue as we've a shipping container on site already.

how about something like this. Built using new timber and 120mm of insulation in the walls and roof. 50m2, lounge/kitchen, double bedroom, shower room and storage space over bedroom. Total cost £30k.

If you use secondhand free stuff you could probably do it for half that price.

ps local builders merchant are closing tonight and no online ordering or delivery to site.

image.thumb.jpg.1325406f9def93a23ab6158dd76906df.jpg

Edited by Triassic

4 hours ago, vfrdave said:

Cabins4u.ie may be worth a look

They look perfect. About €12-€14k for exactly what I need. We'd be quids in Vs renting in 15months. Concern would be if they stop manufacturing before I need it... 

6 minutes ago, Conor said:

They look perfect. About €12-€14k for exactly what I need. We'd be quids in Vs renting in 15months. Concern would be if they stop manufacturing before I need it... 

A real concern lots of hardware shops closing today or tomorrow it seems.

I'm scared to check with my merchants.

1 hour ago, vfrdave said:

A real concern lots of hardware shops closing today or tomorrow it seems.

I'm scared to check with my merchants.

I have sorted my timber needs for a while (assuming Wednesdays Multipanel delivery happens)  But one thing I forgot is PAINT for the bathroom unit.  Hatching plans for one last dash to find anyone selling paint tomorrow.  is that irresponsible?

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Hatching plans for one last dash to find anyone selling paint tomorrow.

I went to Brewers yesterday to get some paint and masking tape. They are operating a 2m distancing, card only payment system. It's weird, as you move towards the counter to pay, they move backwards away from you. I suppose we'll get used to it as hardware stores are allowed to stay open at the moment.