Self building and social distancing!

Pipmilad

Hi, we are hoping to build with friends on a small private development in North Somerset.  Waiting now for building regs drawings with some design alterations which we’ll need to submit for planning amendment. We have our current home on the market which will fund the build when/if sold. Pausing now for thought because of the pandemic and things having not yet reached the peak of disruption in the country. Anyone else worried about this and any experiences of delay, forecasts or optimistic views?  Any ideas welcome!

3 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Whatever the delay, every single one of them can be put to good use.

They are all annoying.  I have,  slowly oh so slowly,  learned  to harness the irritation.

Your right Ian

We will be hopefully going through planning again shortly 

Though I must say that the planning side of our build wasn’t enjoyable and the only time I felt stressed 

49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am in a phase this week of "buy as much materials as I can" fearing builders merchants might shut shop

+1 to that. Wearing a mask & gloves when unloading / meeting delivery drivers and not touching any of it for 3 days to be sure that our mutual friends have had plenty of time to denature.

46 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

+1 to that. Wearing a mask & gloves when unloading / meeting delivery drivers and not touching any of it for 3 days to be sure that our mutual friends have had plenty of time to denature.

That reminds me I have 2 parcels that have been in quarantine for about 5 days now so should be safe to open.

I work 1 day and 2 half days on site for my build a week. I can't decide whether to not go anymore and just let the 2 builders get on with it themselves. Being there on site is not 100% necessary but it helps with the management, my fitness, and my sanity away from the computer. I feel the risk is pretty low, but equally they could end with it. Another major decision to make...

Howdens have now announced they are operating "no contact"

Do not enter the shop.  Phone your order from the car park.  A door will be opened and your order placed outside to take away.

At least they are remaining open.

• 2 months later...