HDF vs MDF skirting

Oz07

I should know this being a chippy but every day is a school day. I've used the Green MDF sheets in bathrooms before knocking cupboards up but i'm not there 12months later to see if it was any good.

Last house had MDF skirts which started to blow at the corners after my frequent mopping in kitchen. Went back to pine in current place knotted, primed, undercoated and top coated and hey presto still got knots and marks coming through.

Is this HDF any better or am I just being sold the dream? most the online merchants seem to sell their skirting as HDF which they say is more resistant to moisture. I can get the skirting I want locally for around £1.40 in MDF, online in HDF I am looking at double the cost. Happy to pay if it really is worth it but would like to hear from anyone with experience first.

How does the MDF get blow with water, do you not seal the bottom with waterproof sealant? I do that just to get the bugs out. Suspect HDF would just take a little longer if put down the same way. The is always plastic.

I've since learnt they don't actually supply skirts in hdf it is just a higher density version of mdf. Try asking in a merchant the density of their mdf profiles look at you like you've got the corona. 

No I don't paint the bottoms does anyone?! The external mitres tend to blow at the bottom. Even when well glued and painted. Perhaps I've been a bit over enthusiastic with mop but I know others who've had same problem 

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I've since learnt they don't actually supply skirts in hdf it is just a higher density version of mdf. Try asking in a merchant the density of their mdf profiles look at you like you've got the corona. 

No I don't paint the bottoms does anyone?! The external mitres tend to blow at the bottom. Even when well glued and painted. Perhaps I've been a bit over enthusiastic with mop but I know others who've had same problem 

Yep paint the bottom edge before you install the skirting especially in kitchens and use a tiled skirting in bathrooms.

Edited by Alex C

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

YES H = HIGH & M = Medium

What I meant by sealing the boards was once they are down using sealant along the bottom to stop water seeping under them and resting in any dips. If you are mopining the floor it's bound to get under the board if you don't seal them. MDF & water result the same as bread & water. Another thing you could do it give them a coat of yacyt varnish, if they are unprimed do that first 50/50 solution so it penetrates deeper.

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

They come already primed all round. You lot actually paint them underneath also?!

It's a case of preparing wood for the surrounding it's going to be used in. I had MDF board in my old house for years with no issues and we had tiled floors. We didn't use a mope, we used one of the squeegy mope things and sprayed cleaner on the tiles and wiped it that way. If we were going to drench the floor in water with an old fashion mop I certainly would have protected the MDF better than I did.

• 3 weeks later...

@Oz07 With my local timber yards closed, I am now looking to get my skirting board sourced from online retailers. Seen some stupid prices for simple bullnose profile so just wondering what places you were looking at online back in March? Looking for about 150metres so would like to think I can get a decentish price on that. The likes of BNQ and Wickes have no stock.

I had a local price of 1.20ish per m on 4" 18mm and 80 something p on 57mm x 18mm arc 

Delivery got let down before the lock down but they are hoping to deliver around 20/4

Online prices are stupid as you see @oranjeboom

I'm not that desperate to get a bit of trim on that I'll overpay by stupid amounts even if it is relatively small cost of the job 

10 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

wow! Online looking at £3.50 (inc del and tax). Simple bullnose 4" primed.

Try these guys, though it does not look quite as good as the local. £1.60 per m online incl VAT but delivery to be added for 94 x 16mm bullnose primed. That may do you.

https://roncurrie.co.uk/94x16mm-4-bullnose-mdf-skirting-board-primed-various-lengths?search=skirting

and various others.

https://roncurrie.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=skirting

They are my local and I did a bungalow with their skirting.

Edited by Ferdinand

5 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Thanks @Ferdinand - indeed, that's down to £2.30/m now! Delivery is certainly pushing the price up by £100 but I have no choice.

The annoying thing is that I have a bloody timber yard at the back of my garden - within arms length. But of course it is shut.

image.png.55ae35eb8ae891bd47bfd17d8cdd8f32.png

They are answering the phone if you want to negotiate ? .

5 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

@oranjeboom I initially thought the same, but is it really that crucial you get some trim on? I'm going to wait it out

Just want to be able to move in! Or at least get some of the furniture in so that I can get the family out of the static and 'live' in the house during the day, do  school work in their bedrooms.

Don't want to move furniture in order to get 4.2m length trim into place.

If I can get the shed emptied of possessions I can move my tools into there also. And then also go through the garage to see what sh.. I have in there before I knock down that eyesore. Need to clear the clutter. So much clutter in my head, in the house, in the shed, in the garage....aarrrrgh...

We have been living in the house for 18 months now building it around us. Only just started fitting architrave and skirting (and yes used all that I have and can't get any more)

Carpets and curtains are but a distant "would like to have"