Self builder

SuzyG

36 minutes ago, SuzyG said:

We're in Moray Scotland. We now have a lovely wood clad eco house. It took us 7 years from buying the plot to moving in - last summer. Lots of headaches but definitely worth it in the end. 

Intertesting, not far from me. I wonder who built it and please show us some pics.

Findhorn by any chance?

I'll see if I can find the vat stuff. One thing I've found already on here is a certificate for 0% vat. One of our contractors insisted on billing us with vat and I couldn't persuade them otherwise. I think this certificate is the key to getting best part of a grand back off them.

Looks top notch, well done. We're also building a timber framed and clad house over near Cannich. Parents live in Archiestown though, so we pop over when the whisky's running low.

The new macallan distillery building is also quite interesting.

12 hours ago, SuzyG said:

I'll see if I can find the vat stuff. One thing I've found already on here is a certificate for 0% vat. One of our contractors insisted on billing us with vat and I couldn't persuade them otherwise. I think this certificate is the key to getting best part of a grand back off them.

There is also a certificate you can use at the back of VAT Notice 708. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/buildings-and-construction-vat-notice-708#section18