Spray foam under room in roof floorboards - expensive option?

readiescards

5 minutes ago, readiescards said:

Just found my quote states a Lamda of  0.039 W/(mK) for Icynene LDC-50 - though I noticed it said H2Foam Lite v6 on the can

They are the same thing - it's just trade names. 

Out of interest is there a sarking panel on your roof build up ..?

I wondered if it could be used to spray the walls where I need to insulate a variable block wall and insulate at the same time to bring it up to a level. 

On 02/03/2017 at 21:47, Dudda said:

What's the minimum thickness of that foam or as I can still see the rafters what thickness are they?

I'd be worried about foam expanding upwards and the felt held tight against the tile battens. Really you should have counter battens outside or good spray foam companies put in trays first which maintains a ventilation gap between the felt and the foam. 

The nominal thickness is 200mm - i.e. rafter full - in the eaves they have applied more in the main roof bit conservative to avoid too much cutting back.  I still have bags of offcuts (and that was only from my garage roof).

20170307_073238_Beechings Way.jpg

Yes I was likewise worried about the felt being pushed against the batten. Where the lightweight brown (Buildbase) felt has been used there is no issue. Where the heavier weight VapR-free there are a couple of issues.  The roofer reckoned the slates make this a non-issue but in a couple of places I pushed the felt down and have jammed a plastic tube between the felt and batten to maintain that gap. 

20170307_074252.jpg

To get to 0.1W/m2k requires 45mm of Kingspan and 12mm of plaster. I've still to decide on 45mm or 25mm Kingspan though. As will be in still putting rockwool in the eaves to save a lot of complex detailing all hidden behind a vertical run of kingspan and osb on the attic truss uprights. 

On 04/03/2017 at 14:02, AliG said:

Was the £37 a square metre for the area of the roof or the area of floor that the roof covers. I am guessing the area of the roof but just wanted to check. Also how thick is the insulation for that price?

I managed to get the original quoted price down by 20% , the thickness varied across the different roofs and applications e.g. 200mm master attic, 150mm in utility attic, only 100mm in office floor void so can't give you a definite figure to work with.

Useful info and update on the last 8 replies. Like the plastic tube idea and I suppose having taped felt would aid the issue of the foam coming out between the overlaps but is a lot of effort to prevent it. Do they cut it back in preparation for the OSB or do you and who disposes of all the offcut waste? In short would you recommend it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Do they cut it back in preparation for the OSB or do you and who disposes of all the offcut waste? In short would you recommend it?

It all depends on the installer, for me the cutting back was a major part of the job. IIRC we ended up with around 70 large bags of offcuts which we had to take to the tip. It's a great material though and very airtight.

PA240002.thumb.JPG.7baca4034915b8bb1b1af337c11c32ba.JPGPA240004.thumb.JPG.11c82ed68eccc3918022589df69701dc.JPG

• Like 1

I've been in @PeterStarck's place and it is without doubt the warmest, quietest, most draught free house I've ever been in. Sure a lot had to do with the spray foam getting into places rigid PIR just wouldn't.

(To be fair it's the ONLY Passivhaus place I've been in). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

There's quite a few videos on YouTube (mainly American I think) for DIY foam application. Kits as well as services offering it on eBay too.

I used a couple of the fairly large DIY two-pack foam kits a few years ago, to insulate the inside of steel-hulled canal boat a friend was building.  Pretty easy to use, once you've got used to the way the foam reacts under different conditions.  A few degrees warmer makes it expand a fair bit more, so the trick was to try and guess the expansion room needed as the inside of the boat (which was in a big shed) warmed up.  By the time we'd finished we'd both got pretty good at guessing the expansion rate, so there was less waste from the end we finished at than the one we started at.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Came across this, class F. I dont know exactly what spec that is in realtion to class O.

http://www.uksprayfoam.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Icynene-Classic-LD-C-50-Technical-Specification.pdf

Class F is flammable.  Probably OK if plasterboarded and all lights / sockets /penetrations are fire rated / fitted with intumescent.  Often manufacturers of flammable building materials claim a fire rating for a complete construction rather than the product alone.

Lots of breather papers, membranes, multi foil insulation etc are also class F.