Change of use granted, now applying for full planning - design critique please!

Tom

Morning ladies and gents,

Well, after what seems like an absolute age (actually about a year) we have finally been given permission for change of use for the modern agricultural barns we bought a short while ago. To say that is a relief is an understatement - we went literally all in on the gamble and were taters deep, so if it wasn't for the global pandemic and impending end of days we'd probably be running naked through the streets. Perhaps we will anyway? Anywho, we now intend to apply for full planning which will allow us to do a proper build and avoid all the pain of having to keep the original structure and not add new structural elements etc etc. The design we have is actually the first one we came up with the architect before having to reign in our aspirations as the realities of applying for change of use under Part Q sunk in. It's very similar to the one we were just given the green light for, just with more glazing basically. So, hoping to submit very soon - but would really like to hear your views on the proposed design. Any glaring omissions/errors?

Cheers all

Tom

Larcombe_PartQ GAs.pdf

Looks amazing, couple of observations since you asked! Why did they choose to crank the three blocks at different angles and looking at it the main block does not look square? It will add to cost as the roof cuts, foundation layout, wall construction, big corner window will all be 'interesting" to say the least. Great start though.

2 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Looks amazing, couple of observations since you asked! Why did they choose to crank the three blocks at different angles and looking at it the main block does not look square? It will add to cost as the roof cuts, foundation layout, wall construction, big corner window will all be 'interesting" to say the least. Great start though.

Because that's how the barns are at the moment - basically three barns all built at different times over the last 15 years abutting each other at different angles. With the change of use you have to keep the same envelope. As we're applying for full planning now, we could actually straighten it all out (and even actually propose something completely different), but I quite like the idea of referring back to the original structures.

Just now, Ferdinand said:

Can you explain what elements are fixed by your Change of Use permission, if any?

Cheers

Ferdinand

According to the change of use rules you are not allowed to add any new structural elements - the original barns have to be strong enough to be "converted" in to residential without needing anything else. Hence why the application for full planning: will free us up to do a proper job.

Hi Tom

Congratulations, your excitement is coming through loud & clear, well done.

Very interesting design. It's just a thought, but the first thing that struck me was in relation to the open plan nature of your main room and the entrance hall. From a practical point of view, during colder days when someone opens either of your entrances you are likely to get a blast of cool air flowing all the way through that lovely big room. If it were me, I think I would introduce pocket doors imbedded into the wall that separates your kitchen from the Utility & WC. You can hide them if you want and also close off the hall area if you want.

Buildhub plan1.JPG

I'd also like some kind or draught lobby for the main entrance doors, but would put them further north, in line with the end of the windows (moving the door to room 4), and us regular doors rather than pockets.

I agree that the en-suite isn't over-generous - though it does work. If I were to keep the layout I'd probably enlarge it to the east, rather than into Bed 2, and make the snug a little snugger. That's because I'd fit a wardrobe in Bed 2 against the wall with the en-suite; the Bed 2 wardrobe as-drawn is pretty tiny and really only suitable for short-stay visitors. Plus a wardrobe would deaden the sound of the WC & shower. I'd do the same in Bed 3.

However, subject to a variety of other matters (views, possibility of changing windows, etc) what I'd really like to do is to merge the en-suite with rooms 17, 18 19 and 20, to form a single master suite in that westerly wing - it would be a fabulous space, and cut off from any noise in the rest of the house too. Then run the corridor more centrally though the central wing, with a bed either side with small en-suites (so ditching the family bathroom), and cutting the utility (13) down to plant-room size - you already have a utility.

17 hours ago, JohnW said:

If it were me, I think I would introduce pocket doors imbedded into the wall that separates your kitchen from the Utility & WC. You can hide them if you want and also close off the hall area if you want.

Yes, good thinking. Not exactly sure at this stage as the barn has such a high vaulted roof which I think we'll keep exposed and the utility will be essentially a standalone pod within this space, so might all be open plan whatever we do with doors etc. Certainly a good point though John, thanks

14 hours ago, Mike said:

However, subject to a variety of other matters (views, possibility of changing windows, etc) what I'd really like to do is to merge the en-suite with rooms 17, 18 19 and 20, to form a single master suite in that westerly wing - it would be a fabulous space, and cut off from any noise in the rest of the house too. Then run the corridor more centrally though the central wing, with a bed either side with small en-suites (so ditching the family bathroom), and cutting the utility (13) down to plant-room size - you already have a utility.

V interesting Mike, thanks. Will definitely discuss with our architect. Having a "family bathroom" is a bit old hat in a way I suppose.

• Like 1