Sure Rend - out of date - thoughts

Carrerahill

I had bags of Sure Rend in the back of a car in my dry garage over winter, I moved them the other day and the usual puff of fine dust ensued, the stuff feels nice and powdery, however, the stuff went out of date in October last. Drat. 

I was hoping to do a bit of dry dashing to the back of the garage hopefully over the next few weeks - the scaffolding is up and and weather is better.

I know cement has a use by date, but my understanding was that if it was still dry it was fine and have often used out of date cement, I might not build a bridge with it, but I have never had an issue, one of the reasons cited was that a product in it to reduce cement burns wouldn't be effective - I ignored this and accepted the risk.

So what are your thoughts on a lime based product that is out of date being used? Before you ask, I have asked the manufacturer but not heard back yet.

http://www.enewall.co.uk/surerend-top-coat-pre-mix/

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2020 at 17:09, Oz07 said:

I've read cement only has a use by date for the properties of safety and cement burns...could of been fake news

This is what I have heard, there is something in it to reduce risk of skin burns.

I have used it out of date for decades.

On 20/03/2020 at 13:13, Mr Punter said:

You could mix a small amount and try it as a test.  I think it should be fine.  Some cold weather due so make sure it is over 4 degrees and rising when you apply it.

You know something, that is a bloody clever idea!

Drat! 

I'd hate to mix it all up and find it goes off in 10minutes!

• 3 months later...