Something for the weekend sir?

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Same here:

https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/compression-fitting-male-elbow-with-drain-off-22mm-x-3-4

Mind, I've time on my hands now to go and carry on looking in other places for the one like his original! ?

Guys,

Thank you, I have managed to fix the old one by cannibalising a new drain tap.

But the saga continues. It turns out there was also a leak on the hot water cylinder in the area where this was connected. New cylinder picked up yesterday but different to spec on the website as it has an extra female 1.25" hole. Of course, now I have to wait for the hardware stores to re-open after the PM's announcement last night ?

[In the meantime, the family booked a local TravelLodge for the night to get a shower!! Don't think that can happen again, so the pressure is back on] ?? Still smiling

Woohoo - Got the parts, new DHW cylinder fitted yesterday, some small seeping leaks but I know these will seal with calcification by the hard water.

"Something for the weekend" !!! Who was I kidding?

Edited by BotusBuild

15 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

some small seeping leaks but I know these will seal with calcification by the hard water.

Did you use Jet Blue Plus or similar on the compression joints or are you just relying on the olive? Wouldn't be weeping if you had. It's magic on brass fittings. They do up with no squeaking and do up tighter too without extra strain on the fitting. You can use Jet Blue Plus on potable water too whereas some pipe "sealants" you can't.

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/center-center-jet-blue-plus-500-g/

I will try Jet Blue Plus next time ?

Just used PTFE tape round the olives and on the threads. It's mainly sealed, just some minor weeping (a drip every 3-4 minutes that I know will calcify over the next few weeks), which now everything is heated up dries out quick enough in the airing cupboard.

I'm not draining that system again to try to get rid of something I know from experience will "self seal" in good time.

29 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

I will try Jet Blue Plus next time ?

Just used PTFE tape round the olives and on the threads. It's mainly sealed, just some minor weeping (a drip every 3-4 minutes that I know will calcify over the next few weeks), which now everything is heated up dries out quick enough in the airing cupboard.

I'm not draining that system again to try to get rid of something I know from experience will "self seal" in good time.

I dont use ptfe tape (any more) on compression fittings. Just Jet Blue Plus. You get NO weepage and that horrible green calcification as you call it. For me it was a revelation tbh. Others on here favour similar products. 

@BotusBuild Did you put the ptfe tape on to start with?  I have never heard of that being done.

I have put ptfe tape on when re sealing an existing compression joint, but never when doing one from scratch.

A smear of my trusty water hawk potable water jointing compound often helps as well.

See what I mean @BotusBuild, people on here have their favourites! So far we have:

Jet Blue Plus

Rectorseal

Water Hawk

Some say they find the Jet Blue Plus i use a bit greasy. (I don't).

As I say if you go with one it's good to make sure it's safe on potable water.

@Nickfromwales I think uses something else...

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have put ptfe tape on when re sealing an existing compression joint,

That's what I was doing ?

Regarding all those other products I shall investigate and make a bold choice ?

• Like 1