Building the Dream 2020 - Series 9

AliG

New series started last night.

Once again a build with the bare minimum of insulation. It looks like blockwork with 100mm of rock wool, does that even meet building regs minimum? The Rockwool website says a u-value 0f 0.29. I would think they leak air also. I couldn't see any other insulation in the walls.

Roof looks like 200mm PIR so that is better.

I do like the red cedar cladding, probably because we have some of that under the porch and balcony.

Really like the decoration inside the house.

24 minutes ago, Taff said:

Bit off topic, can you have broadband without a BT socket?

Lots of options.

My backup service is via the Unlimited Data option on my mobile phone.

Virgin Cable do not use a BT Socket. 

You can get standalone data services over mobile, or things like Microwave beam or satellite. 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

MY problem is "what device"  I have already determined plugging the laptop in, though it works, is FAR too clumsy to use.

Yes I could scrap my present DVR and buy the up to date version that has iptv built in. But I don't want to do that.

All I want is a simple device that has wired or wifi ethernet in and hdmi out, and will view all the free on demand / catch up services.

I keep reading about fire sticks, now tv boxes, android tv etc but they are all really aimed at subscription services.  I just want the free services. None of them seem to advertise what free services they will operate with without paying anything to anyone. And neither do any "help" websites.  And nobody gives examples of what their user interfaces are like and how user friendly they are.  I mention that because I have set up a number of YouView boxes for people and they must take the biscuit for being the most slow / sluggish, non intuitive, buggy user interface ever written, and the software keeps on crashing.

I can't help feeling something could be made with a raspbery pi.  A "video" version of the pi music box I have, but again not seen anyone coded anything and i don't have the skills myself.

So still open to suggestions for that "box" to take ethernit in and give me hdmi video out of the on line tv catch up services.  Must NOT require a phone to be used as the user interface.

You can put all the catch up apps on a firestick. I have iPlayer,itv player,all 4 and 5 od on mine. As well as YouTube and some sports and news apps.

If you want a wired connection you have to buy an add-on.

You only need an Amazon account to set it up but you don't need Amazon prime to actually use it. 

Just now, Declan52 said:

You can put all the catch up apps on a firestick. I have iPlayer,itv player,all 4 and 5 od on mine. As well as YouTube and some sports and news apps.

If you want a wired connection you have to buy an add-on.

Thanks.  So it's not an "out of the box" solution. It's a computer that you have to load a variety of apps onto?  What operating system, open or proprietary?

I don't mind if wired or wifi, both are available.

Does it do everything from it's remote control and an on (tv) screen user interface or does it need to be connected to a computer to load stuff?

NONE of this info seems readily available.

You see the version 1 firesticks quite cheap. Are they no good or obsolete?

This is what I’m thinking! I thought that if you have unlimited data, obtain a dongle from your supplier connect that to you WiFi hub which would then connect to the 4g mast. Everything connects to the hub. So if you have internet ready tv’s then you could download the apps such as iPlayer/itv hub etc etc. All connected to the hub, All the internet ready tv’s are free view ready not sure if they could provide live tv via the router but a simple Ariel for 100 quid would rectify that. Result  = no monthly bills, everyone watches catch up these days live tv is obsolete. There’s no need to record stuff as there’s catch up. Am I thinking right or just being daft!

51 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Thanks.  So it's not an "out of the box" solution. It's a computer that you have to load a variety of apps onto?  What operating system, open or proprietary?

I don't mind if wired or wifi, both are available.

Does it do everything from it's remote control and an on (tv) screen user interface or does it need to be connected to a computer to load stuff?

NONE of this info seems readily available.

You see the version 1 firesticks quite cheap. Are they no good or obsolete?

Don't get the version 1 they are dead slow. Get the 4k one.

When you put it in to the TV and do the startup registration bit you connect it to your WiFi and enter your Amazon account details. Then you can pick from a selection of apps just by using the up,down, left right cursor on the remote. iPlayer etc are in this bit so you just pick what you want. 

It will already have all the amazon apps pre installed as they want you to buy films, TV series etc but you don't have to of you don't want to.

The remote is very good for navigating it's own menu but if you install a web browser it's brutal. If you have a smart phone then you can use it instead of the remote but it does the same thing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Taff said:

Bit off topic, can you have broadband without a BT socket?

We use a WiMAX supplier for broadband with VoIP for the landline phone with normal landline number. It's cheaper than BT for us.

Edited by PeterStarck

As @Declan52 said Firetvstick is the cheap and easy way to make your TVs smart. 4k one is the best choice as the original one is too slow.

The normal price is £49.99 but they are reduced all the time.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B079QB9BD7

Not only can you watch the various catch up services but you can also watch Freeview over an app without an aerial which might help if you don't have coax to where you want to put a TV.

11 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Don't get the version 1 they are dead slow. Get the 4k one.

When you put it in to the TV and do the startup registration bit you connect it to your WiFi and enter your Amazon account details. Then you can pick from a selection of apps just by using the up,down, left right cursor on the remote. iPlayer etc are in this bit so you just pick what you want. 

It will already have all the amazon apps pre installed as they want you to buy films, TV series etc but you don't have to of you don't want to.

The remote is very good for navigating it's own menu but if you install a web browser it's brutal. If you have a smart phone then you can use it instead of the remote but it does the same thing.

No 1 hurdle.  I DON'T have an amazon account.  A bit like I don't have and don't want a google account.  Do I have to pay anything to Amazon to create an account?