How would you orientate a house on this site?

Bonus points for diagrams!

This is the plot we're buying. 

The red outline is owned by the property we're buying.

The yellow outline is designated garden land.

The rest is agricultural after an unsuccessful attempt 5 years ago to designate as garden land (not proven rather than refused per se)

The purple line is the edge of the village envelope.

The blue line is a strip still in the ownership of the original farmer (cannot build on or past it).

Only 2 trees to the extreme north and furthest point west. 

For scaling purposes the size of house we want to build is pretty much the size of the 'sticky out' garden bit NOT owned by the property we're buying. So from the red line to the edge of the grey blob all that rectangle is about the size of the house we're planning. 

The views are to the north and west. There's some scrubland thin trees to the east (above the neighbour's garden past the purple line).

The property and its neighbours are all single storey bungalows. 

Scaling/practicality wise it is 0.5 acres of completely flat land. 

Where would you put the house and how would you orientate it? Thank you in advance for your help. 

House orientation.png

probably not very helpful but I'd get the architect (assuming you're using one!) to see what they think. but I would probably look to put it as close to the purple line as possible so you've got at least some south facing garden although I presume that your access is from the south so some of that south facing garden would be a driveway and garage.

it might be nice to face the house east to west though to take advantage of the views but, again, as close to the junction of the purple/yellow/red line as possible.

but, I would definitely seek the advice of a professional. then again, I don't have the knowledge nor experience of some of those on here so hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon.  ?

Potentially very tricky plot in planning terms. To ask this assume you have some sort of approval / pre-approval.

I would take a long time thinking about it, and I might even think bungalow or an outline profile inspired say by Diana Princess of Wales conservatory at Kew (below), as you have loads of space. You need exposure to the South-West but also complete privacy from the other houses, which they will want not to try and stop you.

You also need to have them on side, or at least not horribly off-side.

I would be thinking top right of the yellow box, a path width away from the boundary, oriented South West with exposure to the North and East through windows or perhaps an evening patio or balcony hidden from the houses.

What are plans for all the land around - is it zoned for housing in say 15 years time? If it is that changes what you do.

How much of that half-demolished-for-the-driveway house is left - is it viable?

Ferdinand

diana-conservatory.jpg.90cd3b92e8e2386f70e94ffdbf469ee4.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

We will be using an architect but want to get some orientation ideas before we start.

There's recent precedent in the village for infill garden sites and it's a designated growth village. Planning are on board in a pre application theoretical sense but obviously want to see drawings before they commit. 

The village has development sites for the next 15 years already agreed (far west - 400+m- behind the trees will be developed in next 2 years). 

Existing bungalow is a no go from a viability perspective. Already run that by planning!

What is the width of the access alongside the bungalow?

Could the bungalow be retained and make that a shared access and create new parking /garage behind the bungalow?  Even by giving the bungalow a haircut and making it a smaller 1 bedroom semi bungalow?

To be honest it looks more like a plot for a developer if they could get both of the pair of bungalows and create a small close type development of a few houses in their place.  They would also want that awkward sticky out bit.

The bungalow will stay as is. If absolutely necessary for access (2.7m at the moment and the need for sprinkler system) we could shave 0.5m off it and it would still be a 2 bed bungalow albeit with a smaller 2nd bedroom, bathroom and the kitchen would need to be in the living room. But the costs might not outweigh the benefits. My mother in law will be living there. It's only 2.7m for a 2m stretch due to the staggering of the garages. 

6 hours ago, AshandOak said:

Planning have said no to extending but yes to a second house.

There's nowt so strange as planners...

Then I'd want to take advantage of the north and west views, so probably something like below, keeping a compact form to minimise heat losses. If you need to minimise the visual impact on the neighbours I might think about curving the roof into the ground at the south, with a grass roof & rooflights.

Houseorientation1.png

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

There's nowt so strange as planners...

Then I'd want to take advantage of the north and west views, so probably something like below, keeping a compact form to minimise heat losses. If you need to minimise the visual impact on the neighbours I might think about curving the roof into the ground at the south, with a grass roof & rooflights.

Houseorientation1.png

That is the general spot, but I think going out onto the agricultural land will make it much more difficult.

Stick on the garden land, and your life may be 10 times easier.

But ask the q.

Edited by Ferdinand