Discharging planning conditions: can I sneak in a variation or two to save fees?

Dreadnaught

I am getting close to starting. My latest job is to discharge the planning conditions. I have nine to discharge and I think I have now written drafts for all nine of them (including copying bits from when a neighbouring boathouse discharged their conditions for a rebuild about a year ago).

But I also have a few non-material amendment (NMA) items to get through. And I have no idea when, or indeed if, to do these. Question 1.

The NMA items I have are: slight resizing of a few windows and rooflights, some tweaks to the drainage runs disclosed to the SUDS people, and the addition of an ASHP.

By the way, I know its a bit of a stretch to get an ASHP through on a NMA but perhaps its worth a try. What does everyone think? Question 2. (By the way, my permitted development rights were removed as I am in a Conservation Zone).

Here's question 3. To save money on the fees (£114 per go on a group of discharges), could a sneak these NMA items through as a discharge of Condition 2, which reads: "2.The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the approved plans as listed on this decision notice"? See what I mean.

Any comments or thoughts gratefully received.

Edited by Dreadnaught

The fee is per submission not per discharge AIUI, and you can put them all on one submission.

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/apply-to-discharge-a-planning-condition

That has saved you 8 x 114 = £904 and I claim my 15%.

The NMA thing looks ambitious, but someone on BH may have done it, and you now have a budget of £904 - 15% available ?.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Ooops.

Granny. Eggs. Sucking. Sorry.

Must have been the tray of eggs I am hoarding.

I could allege that it wasn't clear from your original post and I still claim my 15% since I still did the work, and answered the other question too - this is construction? ??

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I could allege that it wasn't clear from your original post and I still claim my 15% since I still did the work, and answered the other question too - this is construction? ??

At the very least I can thank you for your kind contribution :D . (And I amended my poor phrasing too.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

my permitted development rights were removed as I am in a Conservation Zone

I don't quitefollow this, ASHP are still permitted development even in a conservation area, just a couple more restrictions (must not be on or in front of a wall facing a highway)

48 minutes ago, joth said:

I don't quitefollow this, ASHP are still permitted development even in a conservation area

Thanks @joth. This is the condition in my planning approval letter:

"14.Notwithstanding the provisions of Schedule 2, Part 1, Class A of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (or any Order revoking and re- enacting that order with or without modification), the enlargement, improvement or other alteration of the dwellinghouse(s) shall not be allowed without the granting of specific planning permission.

Reason: To protect the amenity of occupiers of adjoining properties (Cambridge Local Plan 2018 policies 52, 55, and 57)."

The way I read that, is that if wish to add an ASHP then it required specific planning approval as it is an "alteration". Am I wrong?

11 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

The way I read that, is that if wish to add an ASHP then it required specific planning approval as it is an "alteration". Am I wrong?

Sorry I can't directly answer that but I definitely have read on here that there's different categories of permitted development, and even if your PP has a clause to remove PD for extending/improving the dwelling this doesn't remove the other classes of PD. I can neither find that thread nor remember the name of the author, but IIRC it was one of those helpful professional architect types that often help out on this board ?

Just to clarify: I have no idea if ASHP falls into which class of PD. That's the crux of the question AIUI

Edited by joth
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, joth said:

even if your PP has a clause to remove PD for extending/improving the dwelling this doesn't remove the other classes of PD.

That's helpful, thanks @joth. I had assumed all my PD rights were removed but now I see that is probably not the case. Thank you!

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this thread: I have just found this document (below) which describes the Permitted Development classes from A to H.

It turns out that in may planning permission letter I have only had removed Class A and part of Class B. Therefore I still have my permitted development rights for an ASHP.  Good news! Thanks @joth for correcting me.

I am still tempted to add an ASHP to any non-material amendment I choose to submit so that I can get cooling as well as heating, but that's a separate matter.

The document, Permitted development rights for householders, Technical Guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/830643/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf

• Like 1