Is it necessary - Cooker Extractor Hood

I hate them. I've had one in the past three places I've lived and never used them, I'd rather open a door or window. I never fry food so that's probably why I don't find them useful.

Our plan is a hob on an island and I don't want one on or over the island. Is there an alternative. We will have 5.5 metre sliding doors so ventilation isn't an issue.

I have one but it came with the range cooker and is part of the “cottage” look, I do use the light in it but rarely the fans. It is a recirculating one with carbon filters but the MVHR does most of the work anyway.

I think you have answered your own question and if you are happy without one, that is fine.

I use one all the time for roasts, baking, stir fry, even veg boiling.  I have taken out the fan unit and just use the lights on the canopy plus ducting to an external extractor mounted in a plant room, so there is no motor noise.

We had one in the last house and I fitted a strong point behind the plasterboard in the ceiling of this house, plus the wiring, so I could fit one.  As it happens, we found that we just don't need one at all.  The MVHR seems well able to both keep condensation down and remove smells quickly.  The only proviso I'd add is that we don't do much frying, so probably the worst thing the MVHR has to deal with is something like cooking cauliflower or broccoli, and we do tend to switch the MVHR to boost for an hour or two then, just to clear the smell quickly.

Building regs stipulate that you must either have continuous mechanical ventilation (with a specified extract capacity for the kitchen, bathroom, WC and utility room) or you must have extraction fans in those rooms.  The rates are different for each, and are given in Part F.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Building regs stipulate that you must either have continuous mechanical ventilation (with a specified extract capacity for the kitchen, bathroom, WC and utility room) or you must have extraction fans in those rooms.  The rates are different for each, and are given in Part F.

Oh ok. Anyone who doesn't have a cooker hood what do they have instead?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

We had one in the last house and I fitted a strong point behind the plasterboard in the ceiling of this house, plus the wiring, so I could fit one.  As it happens, we found that we just don't need one at all.  The MVHR seems well able to both keep condensation down and remove smells quickly.  The only proviso I'd add is that we don't do much frying, so probably the worst thing the MVHR has to deal with is something like cooking cauliflower or broccoli, and we do tend to switch the MVHR to boost for an hour or two then, just to clear the smell quickly.

This may also help, depending on circs. Or not.

I now fry with a lid on the pan, which also somewhat speeds up cooking - especially good for eggs where the top seems to get half steamed rather than needing to set up a spoon-fat-watermill operation to cook the top.

My frying pans come from Procook and they do a couple of lid designs with rings like a fresnel lens that fit a couple of sizes of pan.

Edited by Ferdinand

I have a recirculating hood and wouldn't be without it. I don't fry much - maybe a stir fry once per week - so although it in daily use it doesn't get changed more than once per year, but it does collect muck that I wouldn't want to end up in the MVHR ducts.

Interesting observation about muck in MVHR terminals and ducts.  The only one in the house that collects fluff and muck is the one in the shower room.  No real idea why, I can only think it's all the fluff that comes from the towels.  I've checked the other extract terminals (they just pull off and can be stuck in the dishwasher) and none of the others, even the kitchen one, seem to get grubby.

14 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I hate them. I've had one in the past three places I've lived and never used them, I'd rather open a door or window. I never fry food so that's probably why I don't find them useful.

Our plan is a hob on an island and I don't want one on or over the island. Is there an alternative. We will have 5.5 metre sliding doors so ventilation isn't an issue.

I hate most extractors as well, more noise than anything. In my last house I fitted an external extractor that was brilliant and silent. In the new house I'll have a hob in the island, and will be fitting a flush grill in the ceiling in a recessed bulkhead. Will have the same external type motor. Means it will be out of sight all the time, and when in operation will be silent bit highly effective.

As others have said, you will need some sort of continuous mechanical extraction to meet building regs.