40mm too short: the story of my life - now what?

ToughButterCup

This image, for me represented success - never done it before.  Putting in a Geberit DuoFix.

soilOverview.thumb.jpg.0f012b10580b1b09aa46db30d97a8b52.jpg

Took ages to plan, longer to do, pipes slipping all over the shop doing a fair imitation of a slippery pig competition - that silcone gets everywhere dunnit?

Deliberately sprayed some silicone where the cat jumps up  - jumps,  slides right off the work surface. Got the shock of his charmed, fat cat life. Should have seen his face as he fell off the edge of the workbench ?

But he was laughing loud and long when ......

20200316_165817.thumb.jpg.d551099a92c1aa38fb01dbb373c2cb35.jpg

... I realised that I put the socket connection joint in about 45mm too low..... 

Cue rictus grin, smart exit of the cat stage left when he hears me cursing.

Is it possible to lift the grey Triple Socket Branch by just 45mm or so? Or should I try and get a flexible connection?

I'm so nearly there.... 

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You can get a version of that grey tripple socket that has TWO boss connections side by side and hence is a little longer. Might that do it?

2-sys405g.jpg?width=900&height=800&bgcol

Won't he be trying to solvent world grey female to brown male?

OK, just been on to Geberit Tech line; very helpful

They propose

• Solvent Y piece instead of the current push fit branch
  • Fit a short length of pipe to the (as it were) left hand branch of the Y (solvent weld it)
  • Fit a ring seal coupler to the end nearest the loo
  • that should give enough wriggle room ( 10mm or so)

Phhhhh, wadja fink?

26 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

OK, just been on to Geberit Tech line; very helpful

They propose

• Solvent Y piece instead of the current push fit branch
  • Fit a short length of pipe to the (as it were) left hand branch of the Y (solvent weld it)
  • Fit a ring seal coupler to the end nearest the loo
  • that should give enough wriggle room ( 10mm or so)

Phhhhh, wadja fink?

Sounds like a plan but a pig since you have done such a nice job of all of that! I would be mad! I'd probably have thrown something out the window - like the time I fell through the joists and destroyed a days worth of copper plumbing fully soldered, fixed and insulated which soon went flying out the back door much to my wifes, who was sitting reading a book in the garden, surprise. Alas, the MKII plumbing actually was better as I used more radiused bends and less solder joints which in my mind = less water noise & less failure points! 

If you do end up solvent welding bits make sure you clean the lubricant off the pipes seriously well. 

Keep calm and carry on. 

My accident cost me £45.00 in copper pipe, not including the joints, solder, flux, gas & wasted time! The best I was left with was a handful of 800mm pieces that were still sort of straight, I suspect you will get away with another £15.00 worth of bits and some spares you can use elsewhere!

I do suspect having a solvent weld joint for the Y will be better in the long term, I feel there are more permanent and may last much much longer. They are also cheaper!

Edited by Carrerahill

Boys!

Geberit do a flexible bend. Bought one. Problem solved. Manufacturer's number 241521001

Yeah, I know, I know.

I just haven't got the confidence to take that slippery pig apart again and put something together entirely on my own. 

Have broom, have bum, stick one in the other and keep going.

bend.jpg.e3b22b2772123bcbb8085e8506a13bfa.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Boys!

Geberit do a flexible bend. Bought one. Problem solved. Manufacturer's number 241521001

Yeah, I know, I know.

I just haven't got the confidence to take that slippery pig apart again and put something together entirely on my own. 

Have broom, have bum, stick one in the other and keep going.

bend.jpg.e3b22b2772123bcbb8085e8506a13bfa.jpg

I think I'd have done that too - as I said above, your work is already done there and looks good - pig to strip it, you then run the risk of damaging seals etc. when you disturb them.

Problem solved.