Single skin block detail

Hi.

I understand how a cavity wall construction is built at floor level, but I'm unfamiliar with a single skin construction. My last garage (that was built by a bricklayer) was single skin and after a few years (after cracks appearing in the render) I started getting water come in where the DPC met the concrete floor. Is there a way to stop this on a single skin wall?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, deuce22 said:

Hi.

I understand how a cavity wall construction is built at floor level, but I'm unfamiliar with a single skin construction. My last garage (that was built by a bricklayer) was single skin and after a few years (after cracks appearing in the render) I started getting water come in where the DPC met the concrete floor. Is there a way to stop this on a single skin wall?

Thanks.

You need to run the covering be it cladding, render, wet dash, dry dash etc. down past the slab basically.

Our garage is is about 1/2 done in dub coat (base coat) of a dry dash system, those walls are bone dry to about the bellcast, then the walls get damp in the rain, however, I will be using a smooth finish from the ground up to the bellcast and this will run over the bottom block and onto the slab (I intentionally sat my slab high so ground level would not touch the wall or even near the top of the slab). My hope is to have a fairly dry garage when the dry dash is complete (to be honest it is now except in heavy rain where rain literally leaks through the walls. On the 2 sides I need to bring the ground level up fairly close to slab height (door walls) I will ensure best practise to reduce damp transfer - the slab at the main door will butt up to a channel drain the full length, sealed to the slab and the pedestrian door wall will have a channel of gravel right along about 1 step high down from the slab height at the side door. 

Think of the whole combination of materials like a jacket and hood. There would be no point in having a separate hood and tucking it into the jacket, likewise in very wet weather there is no point in having a jacket over a pair of jeans, the water just runs down the jacket and soaks your jeans, but that is how many garages seem to be built, what you now need are the waterproof trousers, your feet may get wet but the rest of you will be OK and your feet will dry out.

38 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ve built two Dgs with our build 

Both full rendered But done them double skinned forthwith reasons that you have highlighted 

Both dry as a bone 

265D3B70-BA68-4BFE-BE16-224BD97065DF.jpeg

The last garage did the same (but only after about 5years) as yours with days of persistent rain. I had a fine render finish, but hairline cracks appeared from movement. Water would eventually penetrate through the actual block, but it would also come in at the bottom (DPC) and the render did go lower by about 4".

I think it will be better to just do a cavity wall to make sure this doesn't happen.

Thanks.