DIY-Kitchens - The Alternative View (And its FAR from positive)

Barney12

Sometimes I think I'm just unlucky, sometimes I question whether we should ever trust things written on the Internet!

So based on the rave reviews here (and elsewhere) I bought a kitchen from DIY Kitchens. Lead time was long which wasn't too much of a problem as the property was having major renovations and I wasn't in a hurry.

It arrived just in time (well on the last day of the week window given). The delivery drivers were friendly enough (their own team as I had paid for Gold delivery in a small van) but gave away a couple of facts that should have heightened my senses (by the way chatting to the man in the van is a great way to find out the truth!).

Low and behold there was an entire unit missing. So I phoned (as the driver advised me against raising an online ticket), was told I should raise an online ticket. I said "well do it for me then" which she did. Anyway long story short (broken promises a plenty) it took them 7 days to even acknowledge the shortage. Now two weeks have passed and all I know is that "we've raised a new order". 

So then I go back and say "Hey, I don't have all my order. Its all sat stored in boxes. Do I have to unpack everything and check for damages?". The answer was "yes". So despite not being able to fit the kitchen (No I wasn't going to leave a hole for the missing unit, that is just asking for trouble) I then had to unpack and repack everything. Oh the joy when I found 1 damaged door and 3 damaged carcasses. Again not even an acknowledgment of this latest ticket. 

Now for the other interesting bit. DIY-Kitchens are clearly quite masterful at deleting negative reviews on Trustpilot. Since this horror story began I've been checking it daily. Almost every day their is a negative review and every day one of the previous ones disappear. If you look today their are a few from the last few days. 

Perhaps DIY-Kitchens have succumbed to their own success? 

I'm certainly feeling grateful I paid by credit card!! 

Edited by Barney12
typo
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Ive got my new kitchen on order from them, but not taking delivery until end of may (my own choice). They are local to me, about a half hour drive, everything seemed in order when I went up, and my parents had a kitchen from them about 5 years since and it was fine, bar one door which had to be redone. Maybe you just got unlucky?

6 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Maybe you just got unlucky?

Quite possible. But the number of negative reviews on Trustpilot (if you make an estimation for the ones that disappear) is higher than you might perceive. 

Things go wrong all the time. Its how you deal with it that takes a company from 'good' to 'great'. 

We purchased a Top spec German Nolte kitchen 

German efficiency everything double checked 

We had two damaged doors one unit missing A 5 mtre stainless finger rail had been scratch and someone had tried to polish it out 

and two trims for one of the oven where missing 

They blamed migrants for the damage There is a six weeks turnaround on each kitchen So that’s how long I had to wait

While I was able to fit the kitchen 

I had to put the quarts worktops and Island off for six weeks 

Some of these companies are so big there not bothered over the likes of us 

We had a lovely kind tchen from them 12 years ago couldn’t fault them and the kitchen units doors are in excellent condition. So we have just visited them again and planning on another order. Will check them over a bit more! Like @MikeGrahamT21 you may have just been unlucky and they resolve it soon.

I can confirm that distance and damage seem to be linked with some of their deliveries. I have had two deliveries from them, both in about the 35 mile radius, and they were fine. One of the deliveries was missing a plinth but otherwise it was ok. 

I know of a couple of deliveries where they were 120 miles or so, and had increased damage. The reason seemed to be that they were part of a bigger set of deliveries and it was the unloading / repacking of the vehicle when the first or second delivery was removed that may have caused issues. They can have up to 5 or 6 on a vehicle so this is probably more down to the delivery crews and packaging than the product leaving the warehouse. 

I am surprised the driver told you to call as they are clear that if you need spares or to report damage, then you need to do via web as it gets it quickly into the system. They use it to route priority tickets into their production planning system  and I’ve also had stuff put into prod that has been made when I’ve been driving to the factory to collect it. 

I do though think they may be a victim of their own success ... 

Think that bad, 3 years ago in our old house the Mrs said "I either want to move or we have a new kitchen" so we had a new kitchen, this is how it went.

We found a place not far who did the German handless she wanted.
They came out to do the design, by then we had already bought a double oven, induction hob and extractor so their quote and design had to include fitting these.
We ordered paying 50% with another 30% on delivery and 20% when we signed off that we we satisfied. They were going start work in ten weeks.
I had agreed to strip the kitchen, which I did in time for them to start work, the kitchen at ten weeks amount to a tap on the wall.
As the end of the ten weeks got closer I started to wonder when their electronics was coming to put in the line for the ovens etc.
He never arrived so on week nine I contacted them to ask what was going on. The next day someone arrived and suddenly the cost of this wasn't in the quote, the kitchen would be delayed and we waited for the electrics and even worse - we had to find a plasterer because the one they use was booked up for months.
Then silence, no  electrician - At this point I took things into my own hands and starting from Thursday I had another electrician in, he had fitted a new fuse board, 2 dedicated lines, I had boarded & skimmed the ceiling. Now the kitchen company had no excuse to not start the job the following Monday.
Monday came and went, a call and threat to cancel brought a promise of Wednesday 8am. 9am wed I'm on the phone "The van has broken down" another threat to cancel gets a van to turn up a 2pm. 4pm another man arrives and ask for the 30% as the kitchen has been delivered. I told him a few things are not a kitchen and showed him the door. 2 days later a few more things arrive and a man starts fitting the kitchen.
When he gets to the fitting the sink it's broken - another week of arguments result in a new sink arriving and our man comes back to continue the job.
He gets to the wall cupboards and the doors are the wrong kind. We specifically asked for a door that folds up in two because my mrs is a shorty. No we didn't is the reply and another week is wasted arguing. Then we realise they hadn't included the cupboard for boxing in the boiler - this alone was a cost of £800 and it was nowhere to be seen and the company spend 2 weeks finding one.

By the time the fitter declared himself finished we had gone ten weeks without a working but although the fitter did a good job the were still things he didn't have that needed doing. So when the boss arrived for his final payment I told him I was withholding 10% for the trouble we had and the delays. Of cause he said we can do that but none the less he wasn't getting his final payment till he had re-invoiced with the discount I wanted. So in the end he took use to court which cost him about £90 and the judgement was in out favour.

But we still moved house and now we are about to order another kitchen ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Sometimes I think I'm just unlucky, sometimes I question whether we should ever trust things written on the Internet!

So based on the rave reviews here (and elsewhere) I bought a kitchen from DIY Kitchens. Lead time was long which wasn't too much of a problem as the property was having major renovations and I wasn't in a hurry.

It arrived just in time (well on the last day of the week window given). The delivery drivers were friendly enough (their own team as I had paid for Gold delivery in a small van) but gave away a couple of facts that should have heightened my senses (by the way chatting to the man in the van is a great way to find out the truth!).

Low and behold there was an entire unit missing. So I phoned (as the driver advised me against raising an online ticket), was told I should raise an online ticket. I said "well do it for me then" which she did. Anyway long story short (broken promises a plenty) it took them 7 days to even acknowledge the shortage. Now two weeks have passed and all I know is that "we've raised a new order". 

So then I go back and say "Hey, I don't have all my order. Its all sat stored in boxes. Do I have to unpack everything and check for damages?". The answer was "yes". So despite not being able to fit the kitchen (No I wasn't going to leave a hole for the missing unit, that is just asking for trouble) I then had to unpack and repack everything. Oh the joy when I found 1 damaged door and 3 damaged carcasses. Again not even an acknowledgment of this latest ticket. 

Now for the other interesting bit. DIY-Kitchens are clearly quite masterful at deleting negative reviews on Trustpilot. Since this horror story began I've been checking it daily. Almost every day their is a negative review and every day one of the previous ones disappear. If you look today their are a few from the last few days. 

Perhaps DIY-Kitchens have succumbed to their own success? 

I'm certainly feeling grateful I paid by credit card!! 

We nearly went with them then ended up going with Wren. I was happy with most aspects of my experience to date, I spent too much time talking to everyone I know who has recently bought a kitchen, time on forums, on Google etc. and I decided, they are all as bad as each other really. 

We went for the mid range, 25 year warranty or something - I reckon if it lasts 15 that will be good enough service.

Some of you will go, "Oh no - you didn't go with Wren did you, overpriced rubbish" well yeah I'll take that, but then we looked at Ikea, I know Howdens stuff and I could not even be bothered going to Magnet so we just agreed then and there to go for it. The designer was a decent guy, we had some common interests, I know where he and his parents live - I know that sounds odd but the point I am making is the guy was really really open and friendly and I suspect that if I was to approach him in store and talk nicely to him, he would raise details with his manager who might lean on the factory etc. if anything went wrong.

I am prepared to look at everything that arrives and try and have some sort of checking system in place, my thinking is that as the guys bring it into the kitchen I can quickly look at each item and sign it off, I could even be that annoying customer who won't sign on the screen till I am happy everything is there and if there is even a screw missing have a call put into HQ and or have them click the relevant tab to say customer not signing as incomplete etc. 

So I reckon it is like car dealerships, there probably isn't such a thing as the perfect firm. 

It took 8 deliveries over an 8 week period for DIY Kitchens to get my order right. The first delivery had damage to 6 units. 

In spite of advertising to match appliance prices, they wouldn't match when I found some cheaper prices on the ovens. 

When I raised a ticket they said they had a 2 day sla to answer the ticket although I did eventually find an individual who helped me out more quickly. My support ticket had 21 updates on it !  couple of the girls on after sales did their best for me, but they seemed understaffed and the production side of things left a lot to be desired. 

The units that made up the island were 3mm out of square.

One more point worth noting is that they won't zero rate the invoice to supply/fit the granite / quartz worktops if you order off them as they outsource this. If you have a local worktop place, that might be a better bet. 

I have self built 2 houses and they were the worst supplier I have dealt with. Problems do happen but it was really hard work trying to sort it all out. A It really screwed my schedule up and increased my labour cost. I did get some money back off them but it nowhere near covered my additional costs. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

I know of a couple of deliveries where they were 120 miles or so, and had increased damage.

My delivery was 150 miles away. The first delivery driver seemed very unhappy with his job which may have gone someway to explaining the damage. 

24 minutes ago, jonM said:

It took 8 deliveries over an 8 week period for DIY Kitchens to get my order right. The first delivery had damage to 6 units. 

In spite of advertising to match appliance prices, they wouldn't match when I found some cheaper prices on the ovens. 

When I raised a ticket they said they had a 2 day sla to answer the ticket although I did eventually find an individual who helped me out more quickly. My support ticket had 21 updates on it !  couple of the girls on after sales did their best for me, but they seemed understaffed and the production side of things left a lot to be desired. 

The units that made up the island were 3mm out of square.

One more point worth noting is that they won't zero rate the invoice to supply/fit the granite / quartz worktops if you order off them as they outsource this. If you have a local worktop place, that might be a better bet. 

I have self built 2 houses and they were the worst supplier I have dealt with. Problems do happen but it was really hard work trying to sort it all out. A It really screwed my schedule up and increased my labour cost. I did get some money back off them but it nowhere near covered my additional costs. 

so it’s not just me. That at least makes me feel a bit better. I think the understaffed point is most likely the issue, tickets don’t get answered, promises of call backs don’t happen. 

So, as a little update:

Tonight I’ve had a text message from an unknown mobile simply saying “I’m delivering to you from DIY Kitchens tomorrow. Please reply to confirm.”

im assuming this might be my missing unit but with no ticket update and no phone calls I have no idea! 

22 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

So, as a little update:

Tonight I’ve had a text message from an unknown mobile simply saying “I’m delivering to you from DIY Kitchens tomorrow. Please reply to confirm.”

im assuming this might be my missing unit but with no ticket update and no phone calls I have no idea! 

Sounds a bit amateurish.

16 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Quite possible. But the number of negative reviews on Trustpilot (if you make an estimation for the ones that disappear) is higher than you might perceive. 

Things go wrong all the time. Its how you deal with it that takes a company from 'good' to 'great'. 

Totally agree, have to see what happens during my order process and delivery

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I’d update this thread:

I finally received the missing unit. They managed to forget to order the drawer fronts for said missing unit which then took another 10 days. ?

The damaged door and 3 wall units have still not been replaced. That’s a month now.

Yes I accept that these are unprecedented times but they go to great lengths on their website to say they are open, have high levels of raw materials and are building and selling kitchens. 

On the plus side the solid worktop installer they use (natural stone surfaces) has shut down completely so there is bugger all chance of finishing the kitchen anytime soon ??

I have a funny feeling my kitchen is going to take some time to complete too. All hangs on whether tomorrows PIR delivery comes or not. If it does then I hit go, but I have already thought the worktops might be an issue, though i'm using a seperate supplier for those.

Sounds like you've had a pretty poor experience, hope I don't get the same. I've paid for gold delivery, but no idea how thats going to work if they can't come in your house?! Aiming for an early June delivery, I guess things may have changed by the time we get there.

Had similar problems myself @Barney12 didn't find the quality to be bad but their qc is lacking and a couple of missing bits. Took around 6 months to resolve. One of my problems was a base decor end only painted properly one side. Guess where you see the poorly painted bit. When I raised this the girl had the cheek to suggest they were the only company who routinely finished both sides and questioned why the back needed to be painted. Idiots. 

This time I went with a local supplier. Good gear at good price. I always used to use howdens but find their pricing has gone crazy in recent years. They can't compete Any more. Keep offering to match my lower prices after quoting 25% higher to begin with

Kitchen unit quality from the low to mid price manufacturers seems fairly uniform.  Perhaps just go for a door and handle you like the look of.  They all seem to have fairly standard spec for chipboard carcasses, hinges, drawers and legs.  You will need to pay a bit more for decent Blum hinges and drawers.

Really it is just a row of chipboard boxes chucked on the wall.  No magic with any of them.

Worktops, lighting, splashbacks, appliances and flooring make at least as much impact as the choice of cupboard brand.  Make sure it is fitted neatly.

• 1 month later...

Majority of it came fine, just one of the tall units was totally damaged and missing 2 doors. Logged it with them, they've acknowledged it, but have already gone over their 5 working day replacement timescale. Sent another message yesterday, but not heard anything back so far. Hopefully doesn't go on too long! Luckily i can get worktop installed, as this is first unit after the worktop finishes, very annoying though as i can't get on with anything else til this gets replaced so i can finish the job. Think i'd have been more surprised if everything had turned up spot on, never happens these days.

EDIT: They must have been listening, just had email to say its getting delivered tomorrow. See what happens

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

That's the problem with these. I think the clue is in the name. Quality seems fine but missing or damaged and your looking at a week minimum delay. Ok for someone doing it themselves not ok for a professional with dates to manage. 

I noticed on their information pages, it tells you to ask your fitter to quote for a second remedial visit as part of the job, which seems quite a bad thing to put on your website.

I think, as with a lot of things, if you want something cheap, you have to work harder for it, or wait.