"Air Source Pump.. C. heating"

zoothorn

54 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Are there not flexi-hoses connecting the outside unit to it's pipes?

Well if the bigass ~10mm thick copper pipe wrapped in 50mm white insulation are what you're referring to as 'flexi' (I cant tbh call them as such, bc theyre stiff) then yes.

Bloody system I wake up & boiler is 'errrring' away / a new noise, not the pipes, so much i can hear it in kitchen with door closed. Bed2 is totally unuseable to sleep in.

What is the make and the model of the heat pump (it should say on the manual)

It should have flexi pipes, think of the things commonly used to connect sink taps, then enlarged several times over.  You can usually tell because the outside piping where the flexi is, forms an arc, not straight lines.  Take some photos?

I agree the standard controllers are stupidly complicated things.  I virtually ignore mine, and instead have it connected to a conventional central heating programmer so I cn set on and off times just as you would with any central heating, with a programmer that most people can understand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 08:54, ProDave said:

What is the make and the model of the heat pump (it should say on the manual)

It should have flexi pipes, think of the things commonly used to connect sink taps, then enlarged several times over.  You can usually tell because the outside piping where the flexi is, forms an arc, not straight lines.  Take some photos?

I agree the standard controllers are stupidly complicated things.  I virtually ignore mine, and instead have it connected to a conventional central heating programmer so I cn set on and off times just as you would with any central heating, with a programmer that most people can understand.

Hi ProDave- sorry I forgot I replied with my update of it just installed, to my ASHP thread of last year!

Its a Vaillant arotherm 7.5kW. Split? I'm not sure, but it does rads + dhw. Nothing else.

What I have is the big mo-fo fan box outside, & two stiff copper 12mm ish pipes (clad in white thermo blanket stuff) just flexible enough to bend into a 3ft coil next to the fan unit, & then up my outside wall > bend inwards into big hole drilled > into upstairs cupboard new vaillant boiler. They make quite a droning juddering noise when 'on', pressure inside or s'thing.

Sorry photos are n/a. cam impossible.

Oddly the installer chap came back (due to an odd error code on control unit, but he can't shift it) establishing all actually running fine despite error.. so did a rads full heat test. Bar a wee leak (coming back again with some rockwool- kindly to try tamp the white pipe noise) running well. Hot water is fab.

Lastly he reset control back to some sort of default setting I guess, 1st asking if I wanted rads on (no), only thing I saw was him dialling temp down to 5.0*C so rads all off (got the gist of the dial, to do this much). And since then.. its all been -blissfully- quiet & Ive not once heard the fanny mo-fo on, once.. so no night noise/ no pipes in action at all. I don't understand.. but dare not even look at it in case I wake it up & it gurgles & judders & makes fk knows what noises. Im terrified of it.

Apart from -jesus the flamin coincidence- right now.. when its made the 1st 'on' droning fan-on > pipe-pressure annoying noise since he left on thursday. 5 mins only tho. Its a prominently, intrusively annoying drone. I will not handle it if it does this constantly with rads on.. I'll have no choice but turn it off (If I'm able).

1st thing I need to establish, is how on earth to make totally sure winter or summer, that this dreaded noise does -not- occur at night. at all.

If I can't then I'll have to uninstall the whole thing: 'on' & the sound is not conjusive to live with next bedroom on, let alone using the bedroom the boiler's in, if it springs into action even the occasional 5mins anytime overnight.

I was not told anything about any inside noise, only the outside unit noise (an unintrusive gentle hum in comparison). This is dissapointing, & a big problem I don't suppose rockwool & soundbloc pB boxing in will fix, if the noise continues on from the boiler > via a series of 22 & 15mm pipes on the bedroom wall > to cylinder (in corner cupboard).

21 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Deffo.

I would get in touch with Vaillant directly if the noise persists. I'd say that is installer error for the most, in placement of the internal unit and execution of the install as a whole.

It'll pick a few ears up if you kick off suitably, but politely. I doubt that you are very far away from a good install, just the company makes money by being "in and out" so I supect a little attention to detail has gone to the wayside.

Approach the installers again and say the noise came back. Make it their problem not yours.

24 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Deffo.

I would get in touch with Vaillant directly if the noise persists. I'd say that is installer error for the most, in placement of the internal unit and execution of the install as a whole.

It'll pick a few ears up if you kick off suitably, but politely. I doubt that you are very far away from a good install, just the company makes money by being "in and out" so I supect a little attention to detail has gone to the wayside.

Approach the installers again and say the noise came back. Make it their problem not yours.

Hi Nick- thanks for that. I'm reluctant to 'complain' having it all foc, & an extremely good installer I thought (albeit one of his trainees -5 of them doing joins, rads & pipe runs etc- drained a big ammount of water+? from who knows scarring my lawn badly.. & a fair few permanent flux grubby marks on new carpet) I think doing the best he could with my poor upstairs 80's brick addition. There's a 5" void between the internal room pB, & brick or some orig stone solid wall behind.. & the boiler's attatched to the pB, pipes & boiler in a pB cupboard, excacerbating the noise no doubt.. but its not his fault/ the only feasable place near to the cylinder he could put it.

I think vaillant coming out to look at the error code fault, so I'll ask about the noise then: but it'll just be him blame the installer, installer blaming the vaillant stuff. Afaict the noise is just 'how it is' so installer said, rather than any hardware problem. Just if I'd known to expect noise inside, Id have asked to put white pressure pipes & boiler in downstairs UTility room I could then make a decent enough 'soundblock cupboard' to house it in.. not put in my bloomin spare bedroom 2 yds from the bed.

Its simply the main two pressure- pipes creating the noise (I assume the noise eminating from the pump outside within the unit) & into the boiler > onwards > to cylinder. I can't blame the installer for the vaillant pump & pipes.

• 5 months later...