Pig heavy shower tray

We used 4 pairs of glass suckers to lift up £5000 worth of glass, how long are you planning to keep it in the air??

is this bathroom going to take as long as @Onoff are you planning to keep it suspended in the air for a couple of years. 

If not stick the suckers on it and pick it up, c,mon it’s not rocket science. ???

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

We used 4 pairs of glass suckers to lift up £5000 worth of glass, how long are you planning to keep it in the air??

is this bathroom going to take as long as @Onoff are you planning to keep it suspended in the air for a couple of years. 

If not stick the suckers on it and pick it up, c,mon it’s not rocket science. ???

Mine are just hand suckers . I used them to move my famous walk on glazing around . They are ok ; but you can ‘see’ them slowly losing their suction . Ok with glazing as you can set it down and re apply them . My bathroom will be complete before @Onoff ‘s which still isn’t finished ?

19 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

OK.

So, in this instance what you do is make nice pyramids of quite stodgy tile adhesive ( slow set !! ) and have then about 50mm higer than you need the tray to be. Then you slide the tray out on battens, or lower it from the front onto short battens near you ( there so you don't lose your fingertips when the heavy slippy tray gets the better of you ) and just let the adhesive squish out as you rubber mallet the thing into the position you want. Lots and lots of small taps, and never in the same spot more than twice, and gravity will go from your enemy to your friend as the tray heads south to its final resting place.

Sort the waste out after its gone off, and plug the missing block with expanding foam. Then you just mix 2-part self leveller and pour it into the void around the blobs of tile adhesive under the tray and let it fill up as much as you can underneath.

What could be easier?!? 

I like the concept .

But , the reality is - this could turn into a major F up .

I’ll come back to my pig heavy , awkward tray later ....

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, pocster said:

It’s ok - but thanks .

I need a way to lift it in and out many many times ....

Omg. Why?

I’m sure you have designed your place around doing every possible job in the most complicated and challenging way. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Omg. Why?

I’m sure you have designed your place around doing every possible job in the most complicated and challenging way. ?

I’ve not worked out where the shower drain is going ( need to break through blocks ) . Not sure of tray height I.e on floor . Need to timber out the marine ply that the tray sits on . So need tray in/out as I do these things !

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ve not worked out where the shower drain is going ( need to break through blocks ) . Not sure of tray height I.e on floor . Need to timber out the marine ply that the tray sits on . So need tray in/out as I do these things !

You do have a tape measure don’t you? ?

But seriously... Can’t you make a template out of paper or card? 

You could then fanny about till your hearts content without risking damaging the tray or yourself. 

Edited by Gav_P

5 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Can’t you make a template

I would make one out of hardboard and baton, (size and thickness) easily liftable without risking damaging your tray (or your Nads).and accurate, not like ol @ToughButterCup ?????(sorry mate).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

You do have a tape measure don’t you? ?

But seriously... Can’t you make a template out of paper or card? 

You could then fanny about till your hearts content without risking damaging the tray or yourself. 

Sure .

But I still would need to lift it in and out a few times . That’s hard on your own !

Rather have a method I can use many times . 

40 minutes ago, pocster said:

Finally my “crane” winch arrives .

Project crane temporarily on hold .

Project lift heavy shower tray safely in action .

The further I proceed the less confident I become . Tessties at minimum size ...

49472B78-607A-4F28-A74A-D240D15594B8.jpeg

Non UK plug on that hoist?

I had to move one of my walk on glazing units at 150kg on my own . Got it in the frame and realised there was an issue so had to lift it out . Not fun and dangerous . So lesson learnt . Also I’ve become quite attached to my back .

Once I can do . Multiple times ( I.e twice or more ) find a better solution . Time spent on this will save me later !

Just now, pocster said:

I had to move one of my walk on glazing units at 150kg on my own . Got it in the frame and realised there was an issue so had to lift it out . Not fun and dangerous . So lesson learnt . Also I’ve become quite attached to my back .

Once I can do . Multiple times ( I.e twice or more ) find a better solution . Time spent on this will save me later !

That tray in the ensuite - which I can manage easily on my own was in/out a dozen times ....