Pig heavy shower tray

Found a thread on this already , mentioning ice cubes and battons 

My tray weighs an impressive 72kg .

As I’m always on my own ( pre self isolate - I set the trend ) ; this won’t be much fun .

Want to recess tray into floor .

So once wall boarded with marine ply and tile backer board on ; need a nice method to get tray in and out of corner .

Battens sound best . But tray won’t be easily liftable once in situ .
Was thinking of some kind of hoist ...

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Battens worked for me but I wasn't putting the tray in a recess. I think straps might be the way to go as @Onoff suggested. Would an engine hoist work? 

That’s the type of hoist setup I was maybe thinking of .... 

But I think the hoists ‘legs’ might get in the way .

Edited by pocster

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not on this yet - but thinking ....

I could stick a hole in the beam and block and use a bottle jack to lift/ lower it .

Only issues are the height the jack could go and some method to support the whole tray - stop it falling off the jack . Is it ok for a tray to be ‘jacked’ at one point ? ??

OK.

So, in this instance what you do is make nice pyramids of quite stodgy tile adhesive ( slow set !! ) and have then about 50mm higer than you need the tray to be. Then you slide the tray out on battens, or lower it from the front onto short battens near you ( there so you don't lose your fingertips when the heavy slippy tray gets the better of you ) and just let the adhesive squish out as you rubber mallet the thing into the position you want. Lots and lots of small taps, and never in the same spot more than twice, and gravity will go from your enemy to your friend as the tray heads south to its final resting place.

Sort the waste out after its gone off, and plug the missing block with expanding foam. Then you just mix 2-part self leveller and pour it into the void around the blobs of tile adhesive under the tray and let it fill up as much as you can underneath.

What could be easier?!? 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Apparently there's a company in Kent now offering speedy turnkey wetroom installations......................................................

Fu all, I'm going for a shower!

• Haha 2

On 15/03/2020 at 20:35, Russell griffiths said:

9B4DD94E-3D2E-4345-8A1A-37813F31161C.thumb.png.dc44aa5e91bc7cadb3b59f9c17eed82d.png

£10 on e bay. Glass suckers. (See my advert) hook in ceiling then some type of small block n tackle

3-1 ratio will work and not cost much. 

I've got some glass suckers and I certainly don't trust them to hold for any length of time.....